Building an under deck storage

Old 07-26-16, 07:18 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Building an under deck storage

Hi, I have a large deck that is about 8 feet off the ground. I want to enclose an area of about 12x24 under the deck using lattice as a storage shed. This will be on top of a concrete patio that was poured last week. The deck is about 30 years old and in very good shape.

My initial thought is to build this enclosure by attaching the lattice walls to the structure of the deck, but started to have second thought that maybe I should not attach the lattice boards to the deck to be safe? I do want the 4x8 lattice board to have a wide frame/border on the outside (thinking 6 inches) and sturdy.

I will install some corrugated roof panel under the deck so the rain from the deck will be directed away from the enclosed area.

Anyone have done something like this and share your thoughts?

Thanks.

Old 07-26-16, 09:14 AM
C
Received 169 Upvotes on 137 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about attaching lattice panels to the deck posts since they won't catch much air and transfer force to the posts.

You will likely find that any panels you hang underneath the deck to divert water will clog up with debris in short order and be a pain to maintain unless you hang then low enough so you can get in to clean them out.

Have you thought about one of the large Rubbermaid type outdoor storage units? You wouldn't have to block the water from above and they are free standing....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: