Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Decks, Patios, Porches, Walkways, Driveways, Stairs, Steps and Docks
Reload this Page >

Deck railing painting so far after about a week's worth of sweatin in 90 heat!

Old 07-31-16, 09:42 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

They were dirty with black mold, etc. Cleaned em with bleach n water and am now painting them. Here's what they look like so far. Do you think the deck will be difficult to clean?

Should I go solid or semi solid stain? I've never stained anything before. I still got about a week's worth of railing cleaning and painting before I even get to the deck cleaning though!

Name:  IMG_0551JPG.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  40.5 KB
Name:  IMG_0552JPG.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  35.8 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-16, 03:35 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 297 Votes on 263 Posts
The deck shouldn't be difficult to clean although it would have been better to clean it all at the same time as some of the grime from the deck may get on the fresh paint. It should rinse off but if it doesn't you'll need to do a little touch up.

It looks like the deck might have solid stain on it and if so unless it all comes off you'll have to stay with a solid deck stain ...... but really it's best to clean the deck before making that decision.

Old 08-01-16, 02:12 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks marksr. I think I'll try and cover them with newspaper when I clean in those areas maybe. Yeah, solid stain may be easier.

What about paint? Is solid stain better than paint?

Thanks

Old 08-01-16, 02:16 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 297 Votes on 263 Posts
Paint often wears longer BUT it needs a primer and more than likely when it fails there will be a LOT more prep work. Generally all you need to do to recoat solid stain is clean, remove any loose stain and recoat. Just make sure it is a deck stain and not just a siding stain.

I wouldn't cover the painted section with newspaper! The odds are when the paper gets wet it will transfer ink onto the fresh paint. If you keep it wet and rinsed well the paint might survive, if not it isn't that much trouble to touch up as needed.