What to do with this deck at my new house?

Old 08-04-16, 03:59 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What to do with this deck at my new house?

Hi all,

first of all thanks for reading this! I got a new house and the owner told me she always took care of the decking, pressure washing and coating, but is not three years she did nothing (and I have no idea what she used).

Now what I got is a deck peeling in several parts, coated with what seems a solid colour stain. I already got a similar colour stain, but I need to understand if and what I need to do with existing one.

Part of the deck is consumed, part still has a bit of old stain, mostly is just like in the pic. I'm no expert, I have plants I need to preserve all around, so I don't know what to do.

Can I just clean with a stiff brush and a deck cleaner and restain over?

(image link at higher res http://cloud.thebenchmusic.com/uploads/IMG_6018.JPG)

Name:  IMG_6018.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  50.7 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-16, 04:24 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 295 Votes on 261 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Those are unusual looking deck boards, are they wood, composite, concrete or something else?

Oxygenated bleach is more diy friendly than regular bleach but I always use regular household bleach because it's cheap and effective. I always wet any vegetation that might be affected before I start and keep it wet during the cleaning process. Keeping it wet with frequent rinsing dilutes the bleach enough so no harm comes to the plants.

I normally wet the deck, apply the bleach solution [never stronger than 50/50!] with a pump up garden sprayer, let it set but not dry and then rinse with a pressure washer. A garden hose will also work. Stubborn areas may need a 2nd treatment and/or scrubbing with an old broom [easier on an old back]

Old 08-04-16, 04:35 AM
R
Hi

thank you for the quick and clear reply. It's wood deck from the look of it where is uncovered.

So is bleach alone enough to get rid of the old stain?

Reading around I got impression everyone talks about solvent/chemical strippers (not DIY noob friendly) or sanding (that with stripped wood like that I'm not even sure if would work!).

Being a beginner I have no idea what are the conditions I have to create before applying new stain. I tried on a small portion a deck cleaner/reviver (Ronseal), but apart removing some mould didn't really change much, after letting it work for 30 minutes and worked with stiff brush. Old peeled stain was still almost all there

Old 08-04-16, 04:46 AM
W
Received 17 Votes on 16 Posts
Deck Boards

Those deck boards look like composite boards installed upside down.

Old 08-04-16, 05:19 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
It doesn't appear to be much stain left in the pic. Usually washing the deck will remove any loose stain. When using a solid deck stain it isn't necessary to remove all of the old stain, just what isn't adhered well. I sometimes add TSP to the bleach/water solution to aid with removing grime other than mildew/mold - it can also help remove deteriorated stain.

Old 08-04-16, 05:30 AM
R
Uhhmm now you make me doubt....they could be composite, how to tell the difference?

I have a couple of spare boards in the garage I can check and/or post pic later.

I see online all these decks nicely stripped before applying stain, is it ok to apply it even with a deck like mine just 'cleaned' with bleach even if some old stain is still there?

The original stain was a dark/oak colour, and I bought a very similar one.

Old 08-04-16, 05:54 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
As long as the existing/remaining stain is well adhered there are no issues with staining over it with a similar stain.

I don't get around composite decking much but agree with Wirepuller's assessment. Be sure to include a pic of the end grain. Compost decking doesn't usually get stained but the previous owner may have grown tired of the color or was trying to hide stains that got on it. No clue as to why the decking would have been installed upside down.

Old 08-04-16, 11:21 AM
R
Hi all

I took a pic of a spare board, it looks to me wood?

http://cloud.thebenchmusic.com/uploads/IMG_6038.JPG

http://cloud.thebenchmusic.com/uploads/IMG_6039.JPG

And this is the stain I bought:

http://cloud.thebenchmusic.com/uploads/IMG_6040.JPG

Out of curiosity, yesterday I cleaned one board with the Deck Cleaner and Reviver, result is in this pic (the wood seems less grey but the old stain is still there):

http://cloud.thebenchmusic.com/uploads/IMG_6041.JPG

With this situation, can I just stain over once is all clean with simple water or maybe I can keep using this deck cleaner (for that it can do) and then just re-stain over? Is bleach going to be better?

Attached Images     
Old 08-04-16, 03:54 PM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
I also think that they were installed upside down. All the grooves would make sheeting water difficult and the constant wet surface would promote mold and mildew. Power wash the deck to help give you a better surface to work with.

As a new member, too many pictures will trigger a moderation situation and your post will have to wait for manual approval. It will ease up the more you post.

Old 08-05-16, 02:07 AM
R
Very weird about this upside down thing..I've seen countless decks (here in UK) mounted that way, so with the stripes up, also in adverts. I agree that if it was all smooth would be easier, but not sure this is really upside down? Is there a 'correct' verse at all?

Ok so what I'll do is using the Clean & Revive on the rest of the deck, brushing it hard with the rigid broom, and then power wash it away after 15-20 mins as suggested.

That will leave me a still stained in parts deck, but at least clean, and will buy a roll to stain it after it dries.

Is 24h enough to dry (if not raining)?

Old 08-05-16, 03:06 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
That stain isn't a solid stain, I didn't see where it said but appears to be a semi-transparent stain. It looks like your decking will clean up enough for that stain to work although you might post a pic or two after you are done cleaning the deck.

Not sure what size your deck is but with all those grooves it will take more stain than if it was flat, the contour increases the sq footage to be coated.

It is hard to say how long it will take after pressure washing before the wood is dry enough for stain. Hot sun and wind can dry the deck in 24 hrs but it isn't uncommon for it to need a few days. It all depends on the environment the deck is exposed to.

Old 08-05-16, 03:18 AM
R
Thanks!

Ok I'll post a pic after finishing cleaning the deck, it will be within tomorrow morning as I'm left with half of it (is about 15 square meter total) to clean with the clean/reviver, and then I'll power wash it all and will post a pic or two.

I'll leave it drying and will see if on Sunday morning is ok to apply a first coat, otherwise next week.

About the stain, it looks like (I've asked the shop) is solid color, or as they call it 'bold color'. They also suggest that unless is a contrasting colour, is enough to clean it. This is the one I bought:

Ultimate Protection Decking Stain | Ronseal

Old 08-05-16, 03:27 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
While I've heard of RonSeal, I don't recall ever using any of their stains. There are 3 basic types of exterior wood stain; translucent or toner stains [almost clear], semi-transparent and solid. Solid stains resemble paint, just a little thinner and don't require primer. I find it unusual that their web site doesn't classify it as to which type. That said, terminologies have been known to change in different locales.

Old 08-05-16, 05:40 AM
W
Received 17 Votes on 16 Posts
Boards

After seeing the additional photos, I have changed my opinion. I think the boards are real wood. I do not know what species.

The grooves are milled into the bark side of the board. I think this is why the boards were installed with the grooves on top. Seems to me the grooves would disallow shedding of water and promote early water damage.

Would love to know the builder's reasoning for using this material for deck boards.

Old 08-05-16, 05:52 AM
R
I actually agree, I think it is wood and indeed it takes forever to dry because the water remains in the grooves...sadly not much I can do about it unless redoing it all!

Those type of boards are very popular here, most of the decks I've seen are made that way..

Old 08-08-16, 02:43 AM
R
To continue and post a solution to my initial problem (and with pics!), here's how I did it in the end.

Thanks for suggestions about power washer, never used once but got a good Bosch water cooled one for 90, and that alone did the trick!

No elbow grease, no chemicals, it cleaned AND stripped the old stain almost everywhere, giving back the bare wood. And proved to be very useful to give new life to whole house exteriors and furniture.

Being one of those rare sunny and windy weekends here in UK, I was able to strip off everything Friday afternoon, give first coat of the stain on Saturday afternoon as it was all dry already in the morning, and second coat on Sunday morning (4h needed between coats).

The coat was a mahogany one, so as dark as previous one, and covered nicely with the few patches of old stain remained. The stain indeed was not solid but (semi?) transparent, anyway did the job and is a lovely color.

Pics attached (old deck, power washed, first coat, second coat).

Now I only have to understand how to keep it so nice!

Name:  IMG_5896.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  50.3 KBName:  IMG_6052.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  50.9 KBName:  IMG_6054.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  50.6 KBName:  IMG_6061.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  50.0 KB

Old 08-08-16, 03:50 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Looks good

Wood decks are always have ongoing maintenance. Depending on the coating used and the climate it's exposed to you may have to clean the deck every year and recoat every 1-3 years although occasionally you find some that can go longer.
Are those deck boards curved or is that an optical illusion

Old 08-08-16, 04:55 AM
R
Thanks for suggestions, now that I have the power washer and I learnt how to use it to just clean or strip off things, surely I'll clean it every year as it's easy and fun.

And I'll see how the coating is and will recoat as needed, hopefully not every year because is a hell of a job, unless is enough then to recoat it with one coat

Decks are not curved, that was just the pic