Ideas for waterproofing a balcony deck?

Old 08-04-16, 04:48 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ideas for waterproofing a balcony deck?

I live in an apartment on the second floor. I have a balcony with a wood floor, and cracks in between each piece of wood. There is also a porch below me that belongs to someone else. I also rent, so I can't do anything permanent.

My issue is my dog. I like to bring her outside with me to hang out and potty. I've recently trained her to use a grass patch on the balcony. However, she has doggy dementia and has started to also pee on the balcony floor. I really don't want it to start stinking or staining. On top of that, this morning she peed through one of the cracks and onto the porch below. I'd like something I can put on the floor to keep the pee from the porch below me and keep it from staining the wood or causing odor. I've thought of a tarp or artificial grass but I'm concerned that it will flood the tarp when it rains (it's also ugly) or the pee will still leak through the artificial grass. Rugs will get soggy when it rains and difficult to clean up the pee.

Is there any other option or ideas? Any thoughts on the other ideas mentioned above?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-16, 06:42 PM
J
Received 77 Votes on 72 Posts
Key words "your a renter".
Any alteration to that deck needs the owners written approval.
Any carpet is going to rot out the deck and leak.
Reality sucks but are you doing this dog any favors.

Old 08-04-16, 07:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 670 Votes on 620 Posts
Sounds like the issue isn't so much the dog but the person that wants it to potty on a deck.

Maybe get some of those interlocking foam or rubber mats that look like a jigsaw puzzle.

Old 08-05-16, 06:25 AM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
They make low flat trays that you line with absorbent pads for puppy training or for indoor dog use. Here's an example of one style; you might do better with the type that uses pads:

https://www.amazon.com/PETMAKER-Indo..._3024225011_11

It takes patience to train the dog and you have to empty and clean them regularly, but they are an option.