Supports for deck Shade Cover

Old 08-05-16, 09:09 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Supports for deck Shade Cover

Hi Everyone, I would like your opinions.

I plan to put a shade cover over my deck. I have the shade cloth which will attach to the house on hooks at the grommets. The deck is only 9 foot wide so I don't expect sagging in the middle to be a problem but we'll see if I need to add some wire later if necessary.

On the front side of the deck, I want to put 12' supports in concrete and attach hooks for the grommets at top of the poles. The support posts will be in the ground in front of the deck, not on or attached to the deck except maybe a stabilizing strap to existing deck posts/railing if necessary.

I like the way pt wood 4x4 fence posts look and it would be easy to screw in hooks and hanging plant holders but they are heavy. I was considering some kind of metal/alum/galvanized poles instead because they might be lighter and easier to work with But I don't know if pipe would give me the flexibility to add hooks, flower pot holders or lights, etc.

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-16, 10:23 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 599 Votes on 553 Posts
4x4 posts will be problematic. First, they should not be set in concrete. That keeps them constantly wet and they will rot prematurely. 4x4 also can develop a good bit of twist and warp as they dry. At the minimum I would buy your posts as soon as possible and stand them up in a protected area so they can dry. That way you can replace a warped one before installing it.

I'm a big fan of steel. I have 4" schedule 40 posts ( 4 1/2" outside diameter ) for my shade sails. I drilled through to install the eye hooks for hanging the sails but not everyone is comfortable working with heavy steel.

You can look at galvanized fence posts like used with chain link fencing. Your average home center only carries smaller and shorter lengths but fencing suppliers have larger diameters with thicker walls that would work good.

Attaching to the deck for additional bracing is not a good idea. Your posts will move. Attaching the post to the deck will also try to move the deck, often with the deck suffering damage. It's better to have the poles stand free and let them flex and go with the flow during a strong wind.

Make sure the attachments on your house are sturdy enough or can break away in case of high wind. Just like the sails on a boat shade sails do catch the wind and during a thunderstorm can exert tremendous force. I've seen several sails rip the fascia off the house when an eye bolt is only run into the fascia. If going into the fascia try to also run the bolt into the end of a stud/roof rafter and use a bolt long enough to have a good bite.