Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ledger board and vinyl siding help

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 2056
Size:  24.8 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 1664
Size:  48.6 KBHi,
Attached pictures

I'm about to take down part of my siding to install the ledger board for my deck. (2x10)

I've come across some areas that I need some guidance in.

The outside corner has a 4 inch or so piece that's on the corner. Do I just cut through this like its a piece of vinyl siding?

Also i have an exhaust vent running right in middle of ledger. Do I notch the ledger or just stop the ledger and start again after the vent?

The inside corner has a smaller corner piece. Do i remove that? How would i water proof those areas.

I've attached pictures.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-16, 03:45 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Basically "yes" to everything. You can start and stop your ledger at the vent if cutting a hole is not practical, but the ledger must be supported adjacent to the area on both sides. You will also be removing your starter strip and the siding to the top of the ledger. You will need to flash under the siding that is left and out onto the ledger and joists, so leave it alone for the time being until you get the structure built. The ledger will be held to the structure via carriage bolts going through to the inside. Here is a good link for you to study. By all means ask questions as you go and we'll try to field them for you. http://www.awc.org/pdf/codes-standar...Guide-1405.pdf

Old 08-10-16, 03:54 PM
Group Moderator
Received 636 Votes on 588 Posts
You will will want to unzip and remove the first 2 rows of siding. This will expose the inside and outside corners. You can cut them with tin snips but imo it is a lot easier to use a 4 1/2" grinder and a 1/16" abrasive cutting wheel. Pull them away from the house as you cut so that you don't cut the wrb.

A hole for the hood would ideally be drilled through the ledger after it is installed. Can't say for sure as we don't know the height where the ledger will be mounted, or the size of the ledger. The ledger will need a flashing that will go behind your wrb. The decking goes on top of that. Once the decking is on, you can put the siding back on.

Old 08-10-16, 07:58 PM
J
Thanks for the quick reply.

Just to make sure I understand correctly.

I can cut into the corner pieces as if they were normal
Vinyl?

I might have to use a jig saw to notch the post the vent.

The vent is probably 8 inches tall in total.

Old 08-10-16, 08:00 PM
Group Moderator
Are you saying they aren't vinyl?

Old 08-10-16, 08:02 PM
J
I was planning on using a razor blade to cut through the siding. As from bottom of ledger to concrete is 13 inches and I'm using a 2x10 ledger board. So I'll have siding under the ledger. Or is that wrong

Additional question is.

I plan on using 2x10 ledger. After the ledger is installed I'll have about two inches of siding below the ledger. Would I just remove that siding and put up Z flashing or leave that siding (2 inches)

Old 08-10-16, 08:05 PM
J
Sorry not sure how to quote you.

The pieces are vinyl but just corner pieces. Wasn't sure if by removing/cutting the corner pieces it would mess up the water proofing function. Or allow water to get behind in a different location.

Old 08-10-16, 08:11 PM
Group Moderator
Well, reread posts 2 & 3, that's what you need to do... I think all that was covered. No there won't be any siding behind the ledger. That's why I said to completely remove the first 2 rows (by unzipping it and pulling the nails.) After the ledger is attached, flashed and the deck is completely finished you will be able to measure, cut and reinstall one of those pieces of siding.

Old 08-10-16, 08:56 PM
Group Moderator
It looks to me like the top of your cement is several inches higher than the bottom of your siding. Dont know if you are accounting for that or not. I'm guessing that your ledger could be a 2x12 since the extra width may help, and if even that does not hang over the edge of the foundation, you will need to add a z-flashing underneath the bottom edge of the ledger and over the cement.

Old 08-12-16, 07:36 PM
J
Thanks

I think you are right. If I did a 2x12 then the ledger would past the concrete.

But if I use a 2x12 ledger then I have to use 2x12 joists. According to my inspectors. Think I'm looking at $250-$350 extra for 2x12s.

Is the 2x12s worth the extra cost?

Old 08-12-16, 07:39 PM
Group Moderator
I dont think you will be disappointed in how sturdy it feels. It will also be better to have a wider surface to attach your stair stringers (also 2x12s) to.