Driveway repair by street

Old 08-14-16, 11:23 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Driveway repair by street

I have a cracked drive way by the street where it's raised a good 6 inches from the pavement. Finally the plastic car shielding from my car got caught on the driveway ripping it off. My street is getting paved in a few weeks and I would like to get it repaired in sequence with the new road.

Taking a sledge hammer I was able to break it up. It's 8 inches thick in some areas but eventually it cracked. I'm thinking of taking a saw to create a straight line and having the paving company doing the road fill it in with the street. My other options were using concrete again or maybe using brick. Some have said I should replace the entire slab. My neighbor did that last year and it already cracked. The concrete business seems to be the business to get into. You don't have to offer any warranties. I will not pay someone to do an entire slab and have it crack in a year. My entire driveway is 60 years old and most slabs have only a single crack in them. I don't know what has changed over the years with concrete but the new stuff seems to be worse.

Can anyone provide some thoughts or advice?
I'll upload the pictures in another post. For some reason they won't attach.

Name:  Driveway.jpg
Views: 544
Size:  46.0 KBName:  Driveway 1.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  49.9 KB

Last edited by lip008; 08-14-16 at 11:39 AM. Reason: attachments
Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-16, 12:07 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Not a concrete pro, but since your street is going to be resurfaced, maybe you could come inboard a little, cut a straight line, remove the offending breakage, and ask the resurfacers to blend it in with your driveway.

Old 08-14-16, 03:15 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The city is still taking bids until the 17th so I'll be able to find out more once I have someone I can contact. It will be around 30'' in length and it's deep. It will be a lot to fill in, but I bet it will be a nice smooth transition matching the street to the driveway. My concern is durability where it butts up against the concrete. I believe that's what caused the original issue....water freezing under it causing it crack and get raised. If the black top matches the street maybe water won't get under it like it did with the previous concrete?