Deck treatments such as Rustoleum 4X

Old 08-14-16, 07:44 PM
Received 226 Votes on 201 Posts
Deck treatments such as Rustoleum 4X

This is a comment as opposed to a question or a request for advise.

Most of us reject the use of the Rustolium Restore 2X, 4X, and 10X (or other similar products) as a renewal process for decks. And I still tend to agree with that. But the operative word is renewal vs life extension and beautification. And that is what these products provide.

I say this because I have had my first 1st hand experience with the product. My son's deck is on it's last legs and really should be replaced. But he is not ready to replace it and has possible other plans instead of a deck. And the integrity of the structure is still good. After lots of investigation and searching he decided to do the 4X application. It look and feels great. Will it preserve it? NO. But it will give him several more years of use and it sure makes the house look a lot better.

For those looking to extend the look and life of their deck and considered using such products as Restore or SuperDeck do so with confidence. It does what it says. I now feel confident selling these products to my customers.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-16, 03:09 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
This thread will possibly disappear since it is basically an advertisement for a product. HOWEVER, I respectfully disagree with the premise of using a coating such as Restore on a deck. Wood really needs to breathe. You coat it on one or even 3 sides with Restore, the bottom will still suck up moisture and it will have no place to go but up and will stop at the Restore and peel it off. I have done two of my decks with it, prepared by the book, left to dry, etc. While the bulk of the product sticks to edges and non traffic areas, it wears poorly and chips regularly. Does it look good?? For a while.

Old 08-15-16, 04:07 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 300 Votes on 266 Posts
I agree that those types of deck coatings will make the deck look better initially but when they wear/fail the deck will look worse and there will be a LOT of prep needed to make the deck look decent again.

Old 08-15-16, 06:09 AM
Received 226 Votes on 201 Posts
Yea I thought about the connotation of my post being an advertisement. I should've used the term deck coating instead of the brand names.

A stop gap measure to prolong a deck surface that needs replacing. I understand and agree with the moisture problem and when and if it starts peeling. But lets compare cost to replacing a deck to applying a deck coating to prolong the life. Many decks that need the coating look worse than anything else. If the integrity of the deck is good then the coating will smooth out the surface and several more years can be had.

I've been having a hard time advising customer about this stuff. I'm torn between giving good advise and selling product. I can't very well say our products are no good if I don't have an alternative, so I kind of skirt the issue with them. But now I can advise with confidence that deck coating have a place and time to prolong the look and life of a deck. I will always tell them of the possible side affects of chipping and peeling. But then again wood (stained or not) will check, warp and begin to rot over time. So if you think of it that way everything has an up and down side to it.

So what is the most economical way to spruce up a deck in need of "restoring"? In any case a thorough cleaning is needed (power wash, scraping, etc...). Then you replace and/or stain the deck. Then do it again two to three years later. OR use a deck coating and leave it for several years until total deck replacement is needed or re-coat with deck coating. Actual cost is most likely a wash. Labor can be factor though.

Long and short...To each his own.

Old 08-15-16, 08:36 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 300 Votes on 266 Posts
I always advise using a solid deck stain when the deck is near the end of it's life or has been neglected enough where a semi-transparent stain won't look good. You said the deck was still solid so IMO that means more of a looks issue than the deck needing replacement within a few years. While an old deck might initially look better with a restore coating, it will be easier to maintain with a solid deck stain. I don't believe a restore type coating will hold up any longer than a decent solid deck stain.

Old 08-15-16, 09:00 AM
Super Moderator
Received 112 Votes on 87 Posts
It's OK Norm. It's only considered advertising if you're personally selling a product and making money off it.

Old 08-15-16, 02:19 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
I agree with Mark on the solid stain, after a really good cleaning. The wood won't last for ever, but making it look good for that duration is important and a solid stain (which I wish I had used) would fit the bill better.
I know it is difficult to sell a product and keep your integrity in place at the same time, especially when you work for someone else. I have the luxury of not being constrained, and realize you don't. I don't think I would diss the product, but maybe refer people to certain websites that have recommendations or comment sections so they can read what actual customers feel about the product.

Old 08-15-16, 02:25 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
I can see Norm's point, though, that if you're dealing with wood which really should be replaced but you're trying to save for another year or two before you can really do so, it might buy you that time. In other words, only on a dying deck, not one which still has some life in it.