Installing storm door

Old 08-24-16, 04:33 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing storm door

I have found a storm door that I would like to purchase through Craigslist. It seems like a really good deal and I don't want to pass it up. It is a Larson storm door with a retractable screen, brand new. The problem is that it only comes with the hinge rail and no other pieces that are normally in a door installation kit. My question is: do I really need a drip cap, expander, and door sweep? I currently have an old Larson storm door up that I would be taking door to make room for this new door. Thoughts? Also, is this something my husband and I can do ourselves or would we need someone to help??

Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-16, 05:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 301 Votes on 274 Posts
Yes, you will need ALL the missing parts, so contact Larsen using the model number on the door to order the new parts. And be sure you have all the screws, latch, closers, etc.

It will probably end up costing the same as getting it brand new, but with all the added headaches of not knowing what else is missing.

There is no way for us to tell if the parts from your old door will work with the new door.

Old 08-24-16, 07:46 PM
Received 118 Votes on 108 Posts
Agreed. What happened to the other parts? Can the seller tell you why the parts are missing?