margin of error for setting 6x6x16 for beam

Old 09-02-16, 03:06 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
margin of error for setting 6x6x16 for beam

any tricks or tips to setting 6x6x16s?

I have two rows of 6x6x16s that I'm trying to set straight on the string line
and trying to have it plum and level and in line with the 6x6 in front of it.

having a hard time getting them all to line up perfectly.
Ill have the post level and plum but it will be off the string line and then on the line but not level.....

using an 8ft level and since the post isn't perfectly level its becoming hard.

how much room for error is there when setting posts for a beam...
will the beam bend a little bit to make up for 1/2 inch off or no?

Im going to end up cutting about 4' off the tops of the post and using them for them for the railings after I get everything set and notched.

Old 09-02-16, 03:47 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 8 Votes on 7 Posts
Welcome to the forums! We are going to need a lot more information. What spacing do you have between your posts. Do you have a picture you can share with us? Why not buy 12' lumber and 8' lumber if you are doing that much cutting. The cost of the 16' lumber is quite a bit more than the composite cost of the lesser sized pieces. What are you building? http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 09-02-16, 04:14 PM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I'm assuming here you are setting tall posts for a deck or the like....

Use your string line to get the bases of the posts aligned and loosely anchored without worrying about the tops. Then plumb the posts in both directions using your level and use diagonal braces to hold them plumb. Use two braces per post, at 90 degrees to each other. Use one screw to hold each brace to the post so the brace can pivot on the screw, about 1/2 way up the post. Drive a grade stake for each post into the ground where the brace will reach it and use a c clamp or the like to clamp the brace to the grade stake as you plumb the post first in one direction then the other. When everything is right, screw the braces to the grade stakes.

[Edit]: 1/2" off is probably too much, but it depends on what distances you are talking about. Using method above you ought to be able to do a lot better.

Good luck with your project!

Old 09-03-16, 04:50 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 966 Votes on 887 Posts
If I have a line of posts that I want to keep straight I start at either end. Get the post at each end set where you want them, plumb and level. Then pull a string tight between the two. Now set your other posts so they are a very slight fraction from touching the string. It's important that your middle posts don't touch the string because that will push it out of line so get the posts really close... but not touching. Also, with your post at each end set you can sight down between the two to verify that the ones in between are in line.

Old 09-04-16, 10:40 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies.

I am trying to set 6x6x16 posts into the ground to eventually be notched out for a deck beam.

I have 5 6x6 in each row and two rows(10 posts)

I ran a string line with batter boards and I'm currently setting one row about 1/4" off the line.

The entire run is about 26'

I needed about 12' of the 6x6
(3' in ground and 8' to ledger) and I was concerned about being short so I bought the 16' ones.

If post one is 1/2" to an inch forward or back of post 5. Will the 2x12 (for the beam) bend a little to make up for the difference?

I'm contemplating buying a laser and going out at night to verify that everything is correct.

Just not sure how much room for error is involved with setting beams

Old 09-04-16, 11:50 AM
Group Moderator
Received 990 Votes on 901 Posts
I have yet to see a 6x6 post that is perfectly straight or not twisted in some way. All you can do is do the best you can. Its nice to do what has already been mentioned... line the base up on a string line (staying 1/4" away is smart), try and plumb them up and brace them vertically so that they dont move as best as you can. (Don't use the word level when setting posts... it's plumb.) When you notch, you will snap a level chalk line. If they don't line up perfectly, it's probably because they are bowed or twisted... but when you bolt the beam onto them, it will help true them up... just keep them all parallel by measuring inbetween.... same measurement inbetween at both top and bottom. That way if the first one is plumb, they all will be... it will keep them plumb left and right... then all you have to worry about is in and out. Once bolted together, if the posts need to move in or out one way or the other, you might need to brace them differently to achieve that.

If you only need 11 or 12' I would definitely be cutting them to length before you stand them up.

Old 09-04-16, 03:29 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 8 Votes on 7 Posts
I have to question placing the posts below grade. What do you have for footers? The footing is usually dug, a sonotube inserted and the concrete poured into it, leaving it at or slightly above grade. Your post will be installed on an approved metal post base to keep it above water.

Old 09-06-16, 08:12 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
+1 to what Chandler said - concrete footer, sonotubes, post brackets and no wood below ground.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: