Is this wood (outside of front door)

Old 09-24-16, 12:10 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is this wood (outside of front door)

Hello,

Right outside my front door. There is a piece of what looks like wood. It in the concrete between my front door and walkway. It looks rotted and the whole thing is very soft. Is this wood that I can replacement or something else. Someone told me it wool.

Thanks

Name:  IMG_0044.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  50.5 KBName:  IMG_0045.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  50.0 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-16, 12:23 PM
Group Moderator
Received 216 Votes on 201 Posts
Not too easily. The sides of the door jambs are nailed to the ends of that sill. If you dont want to replace the door and all, you might consider removing the threshold then make a custom fit aluminum plate to cover it up... caulk the edges.

Old 09-24-16, 01:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 52 Posts
The thing shown in the picture is concrete expansion joint material. It is soft because it compresses/expands when the concrete expands/contracts due to temperature changes.

Old 09-24-16, 01:39 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the help. I will let the wife know so she stop worrying...

Old 09-24-16, 08:30 PM
Received 28 Votes on 24 Posts
#1, No deck, stoop, steps, should ever be built even with a threshold unless it's covered with a roof!!
That's building 101.
It should have been a bare minimum of 2" lower.
Somethings just wrong with that whole threshold.
It should have been wide enough to stick out past the outside wall by about 1".
I'd bet you pull that whole door out and your going to find damage to the subfloor and sheathing at least.
I've had to deal with at least 100 sliders and doors done like this and it's always the same, it was built wrong to begin with.

Old 09-25-16, 04:35 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
If you will allow one more comment. It appears the concrete was poured against and level to the top of the threshold. Rotting will naturally ensue. If it were mine, and I was in the market for a new door anyway, I would pull this door, frame and threshold, fill the gap between the existing stoop concrete and the subflooring with a self leveling compound, then install a new door and frame on top of it all. There should be enough header space to accomplish this. If you are in love with your front door, you could always remove it, construct a new door frame and threshold from pre manufactured parts and reinstall your door on the new frame. Can you post a picture from about 5' out showing the entire door and stoop?