How To Align 6x6 Deck Post Anchors (on hill)?

Old 09-25-16, 10:35 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How To Align 6x6 Deck Post Anchors (on hill)?

Today I'm pouring 6 concrete pillars in the ground for my future deck. I'll have the 6 sono tubes aligned in a 3x2 fashion. What I'm trying to figure out, is how to align the galvanized anchors that go in the concrete and hold the 6x6 posts. A string would work, but not really on a hill, as the sono tube would interfere (I assume).

Perhaps I am overthinking something that isn't even a problem. Buuuut, if it will be a problem, I'd like to address it before I pour the concrete.

Any ideas?

Name:  2016-09-25 23_27_15-Deck2016_Flat_2016-09-21.skp - SketchUp Make 2016.jpg
Views: 475
Size:  17.5 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-16, 03:56 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 170 Votes on 151 Posts
When there are obstructions in the way of the string you raise the string and then use a level or plumb bob to go down from the string to get your marks.

Old 09-26-16, 04:53 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Your sonotubes only stick out of the ground a couple of inches or so. You will pour to the top of them. Raising the string as Mark says is the best way. It appears your posts will be in line with each other, so two strings should do the job, provided you ensure they extend at a perfect 90 degree angle to the house.

Old 09-27-16, 01:58 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the gracious replies to what I later found was a fairly silly question. I ended up using j-bolts in the concrete. Once I was out there pouring concrete and setting the j-bolts, I found that a string did indeed work quite nicely My slope was not near steep enough to cause any issues.

However, you can (and certainly should) feel the accomplishment of helping me overcome my fears.