Patio Pavers - Grout/Polymeric Sand Repair

Old 10-01-16, 08:03 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Patio Pavers - Grout/Polymeric Sand Repair

Good morning. So, as the Florida weather becomes some what more enjoyable over the next few months it is time for me to start working on my home repair list again. The first item on the list is cleaning up the patio pavers. They are growing lots of weeds between the cracks and where the polymeric sand should be is now black. These have been in place since I purchased the house a little more than two years ago.

Initially after buying the house, I was told by the previous home owner who installed the pavers that he used polymeric sand as grout around the pavers. This appears to have held very well in some places and definitely not so much in others. I attempted to repair them with more polymeric sand (did lots of research and thought I bought a high quality kind) which ended up getting washed away very quickly.

I am looking for help in trying to figure out the best way to fix this up. I did some reading earlier and it definitely appears that polymeric sand isn't thought of too highly which makes sense based on my experience. If not polymeric sand what should I use? I used a gas powered pressure washer the first time and was unable to loosen up the existing polymeric sand where it still looked good. Maybe that isn't polymeric sand after all?

I have attached a few pictures (it was right after I mowed and hadn't blown off the pavers yet so apologies about the grass clippings). I can take more if needed but just wanted to give you some perspective. I appreciate the assistance in advance!

Name:  image1.jpg
Views: 2105
Size:  51.2 KB

Name:  image2.jpg
Views: 1185
Size:  49.4 KB

Name:  image3.jpg
Views: 1568
Size:  50.2 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-16, 04:45 PM
Group Moderator
Received 234 Votes on 214 Posts
I have had good luck with polymeric but like anything outside it needs periodic maintenance. First I would pressure wash the space between your pavers. That will reveal which areas are in need of more attention.

Old 10-03-16, 09:06 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks. So do you recommend sticking with polymeric sand? Any potential brand you would recommend? I read online where it really is hit or miss with the manufacturers of it so curious on what you have used. Lastly, are there any other options? Thanks again!