Acrylic windows for my covered deck ?

Old 10-05-16, 12:36 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Acrylic windows for my covered deck ?

I have a nice covered deck. It has two openings side-by-side. They are 41" high by 62" wide.

The wind and rain blow in through these openings (40 mph winds sometimes) and cause havoc with the stuff underneath the covering so I am thinking about using 1/8" thick clear acrylic plastic to fill these in. See below photo.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]71574[/ATTACH]

The lattice was replaced with siding years ago and is doing very well. The white sheets that extend halfway up the openings are gone.

I thought I would use the acrylic to cover the entire openings but I'm not sure how to fasten it (I'm working with the wifey and well, she knows everything better). If I were doing it alone I would simply drill holes in the acrylic and screw it to the wood header at the top and to the 4x4 posts.

Suggestions???

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-16, 12:54 PM
Group Moderator
Received 224 Votes on 206 Posts
I would not consider using anything less than 1/4" thick. 1/8" thick with your winds may not hold up very well.

You can drill it. It needs to be drilled properly so you don't crack the material or induce micro fractures that will develop into full blown cracks later. You can use regular twist drills if you are careful but there are special plastic drill bits that are cut at a different angle and reduce the chance of chattering and cracking the plastic.

A better way to mount would be to encase the sheet all around the perimeter in a track. This provides even support all the way around. There are aluminum and plastic tracks you can buy just for that purpose. You can also make up your own with strips of wood.

Old 10-05-16, 12:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 130 Votes on 116 Posts
You'd loose a lot of air flow if you mount a non opening piece of glass. I'd consider framing it out to accommodate 2 storm windows in each opening.

Old 10-05-16, 01:08 PM
Group Moderator
Received 49 Votes on 46 Posts
One more vote for actual windows. FWIW, acrylic scratches pretty easily so I don't see it looking good for long.

Old 10-05-16, 01:40 PM
Group Moderator
Received 214 Votes on 199 Posts
Storm windows are worth every penny... real glass (won't scratch up or flex in the wind like acrylic will) and you can open or close them as needed. And they come with screens.