Walkway ontop of a french drainage system between two houses?

Old 10-17-16, 06:12 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Walkway ontop of a french drainage system between two houses?

Hello and thanks for your time,

I already built this but I'm having second thoughts and I just wanted to get some experience opinions.

Between my house and my neighbors house is an 11 foot wide space where grass hardly ever grows. It run 55 feet long from back to front of houses.

We removed the grass and dug out a 3.5 foot wide trench on the property line that was 1 foot deep and that runs 55 feet from back to front of house. We placed a black liner material from house to house and into the trench.
My side slopes down about 4 feet into the trench and the same thing for my neighbor. We filled the trench up with clear gravel and placed a perforated black plastic pipe from back to front of house and in the middle of the trench. We then covered the pipe with 2-3 in of crushed stone and placed slabs on it to make the walkway. On to the left and right of the walkway we placed some river rock for aesthetics and to keep the slopes running into the walkway.

So there is probably a good 4 in of gravel underneath the pipe, then 4 in of pipe then 2-3 in of gravel to bring it up to grade. Also there is a soft, gradual
1 degree slope from back of house to the front of house, so water should move towards the front of house, which is where I want it to go.

Just to make things more complicated, I have a downspout in the middle of the house that dumps water out by 3 feet away from foundation and towards the walkway.

My question is, will this system work? My goal is to keep water away from foundation walls and root it out to the front. Will the walkway interfere with anything? Is the gravel trench too wide?

Looking for thoughts. Thanks,
D

Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-16, 06:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 131 Votes on 117 Posts
It would have been better for the perforated pipe to be lower. As it is the water level will have to fill the lower gravel before it ever gets into the pipe. Ideally you would pipe the downspout all the way out so it doesn't add water in that ditch.