New patio low or high

Old 10-24-16, 09:56 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New patio low or high

Hi guys. I was in the middle of building a deck and put the posts in and then decided I wanted a patio instead.

I change my mind a LOT!

Anyway, I have a bare ground plot now where my deck used to sit. The problem is that unless I build up my patio to a raised one that used to be the same height as my old deck, I will have the bottom of my siding visible and its not pretty.

I am not very skilled in designing so I am pretty unsure what I should do with this space.

I'll put in a pic of my area now so you can look at it and see if there is anything possible to make it look good.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-16, 10:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 151 Votes on 134 Posts
Don't see any pics

What is unsightly about the bottom of your siding? or is it the foundation that you don't like the looks of?

Old 10-24-16, 11:44 AM
Group Moderator
Received 296 Votes on 270 Posts
What would the height of your deck or patio be above the current ground level? In general a patio is ground level. It can be built up by either bringing in dirt or building a retaining wall which can get expensive so the amount of buildup should be kept to a minimum. Decks really need to have free air space underneath them so 18" is very roughly the minimum height but they can go higher very easily and inexpensively.

Old 10-25-16, 07:15 AM
Received 36 Votes on 31 Posts
General rules, siding needs to be at least 6" above any solid surface to prevent damage to the sheathing.
Deck, patio, stoop in your area should be up to 7" below any door openings to prevent water from getting in.

Old 10-26-16, 07:50 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I keep trying to upload the picture but it keeps telling me error uploading file. Sorry. Looks like I can't go any further...

Old 10-26-16, 08:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 151 Votes on 134 Posts
Old 10-26-16, 08:26 AM
Group Moderator
Received 57 Votes on 54 Posts
If coming from your cell phone, the pictures likely need to be reduced in size first.