Rotten Deck Post

Old 11-10-16, 05:40 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Rotten Deck Post

Good Afternoon, I have a rotten 6x6 treated deck post that I need to either repair or replace. The post footing is underneath some custom concrete that I really don't want to tear up. What are my options here? Any help would be appreciated.Name:  Post Close.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  50.9 KBName:  Post Medium.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  49.9 KBName:  Post Far.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  47.5 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-16, 06:11 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
How far down below the surface of the concrete is the top of the footer for the post? If it's only a few inches, I suggest you build a temporary support for the deck so you can remove the post.

Then use a long drill bit and whatever prying tools necessary to remove all the wood down to the footing. Then use a masonry bit and extension if necessary to drill a couple of holes a few inches into the footing so you can insert a couple pieces of rebar. Fill the hole with concrete to be flush with existing concrete and install a post anchor. Finally, when the concrete has set, install a new post.

If the post extends too deep to do a repair this way, I think you will have to excavate. You may be able to cut out a nice square of the custom concrete with a diamond saw that you can replace to minimize the damage to the custom concrete, leaving only a thin saw cut to fill.

Old 11-11-16, 12:56 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
From what I see, it is sitting on a proper post base. If so, still make a support post and jack the deck slightly in order to remove the offending post, replacing it and letting the deck back down on it. Your length cut will be critical, so make sure it is cut the proper length to prevent deck sag.

Old 11-11-16, 06:21 AM
Received 42 Votes on 37 Posts
100% Sure that's moisture damage and not insect damage?
If it's rotted that high up off the slab the real issue could also be from water getting in from above and running down caused by those overhanging capitals acting like a funnel.
Those bases should also never be caulked at the bottom to allow for drainage.

Old 11-11-16, 06:57 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Wasn't sure if that was a post base or just something they wrapped around the post when the poured the decorative concrete.