want small deck out 2nd story bedroom...one small problem.

Old 11-12-16, 07:01 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
want small deck out 2nd story bedroom...one small problem.

I'd like to add a small deck to the 2nd story master bedroom and I have all the materials and knowledge for the task. The issue I've run in to is that the only place the door can go has a floor HVAC register right in the middle of where the door will be. Meaning, you'll walk right over a floor register to step out the door. Moving the register is not an option as it will involve a lot of work in the basement and it's just not worth it. What I don't know is if this is a deal breaker or is there any reason I should not do so? The door will be an exterior glass door and there is currently a window there that will be removed. I've built decks but never encountered a register smack dab in the middle of the entryway before.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-16, 07:04 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 132 Votes on 118 Posts
If the basement isn't finished I wouldn't think twice about moving the vent - it's not that big of a deal. The biggest drawback of having the vent at the door is you'll be tracking stuff in/out that will drop down into the ductwork.

Old 11-12-16, 07:17 AM
thank you for your reply. The basement is finished and the ductwork is in a long chase, it's not an option to move the ductwork and is not being considered.

Old 11-12-16, 07:30 AM
If moving the register isn't an option, then it must stay.
I'm a little concerned about the air flow and if a deflector would be needed, I'm unclear on that aspect and someone will probably come in and help.
Maybe you can widen the door so the register won't be underfoot, like a patio slider.
I would do that or consider sealing off the duct if it's not critical.

Old 11-12-16, 07:57 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
What type of flooring is in the room? If hardwood or other hard surface, you could get a cast grille for the register and recess it into the flooring so it isn't as much of a trip hazard.

That said, my house has two floor registers in front of two sliders (both carpeted rooms) and it hasn't been a problem at all. When I deep clean the house (once every 10 years or so ), I lift out the grilles and vacuum out any dead leaves or dirt that has fallen in. Most of what I find in there is dog related....

Old 11-12-16, 11:50 AM
I hadn't considered a slider due to the cost difference between a simple exterior door but that may be a nice option. This won't be a large deck and it honestly won't get used that often as the summer sun is too hot on this side of the house and it's just too cold in the winter. Because it's use will be limited the valid concern about debris falling in the register wouldn't be too drastic I would assume. I may assume incorrectly of course but only time will tell. Thank you for your reply.

Old 11-12-16, 12:29 PM
It is 3/4" hardwood so streamlining the register may work well. Thank you for the idea, I'll look into that.