Complete novice on deck project.

Old 11-13-16, 12:54 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Complete novice on deck project.

I need a new deck badly. My main entrance to my home is a deck with 16ft 2x6's laid out parallel to the home about 10ft wide and 4ft high. It is a mobile home. There is a very basic staircase that is rotted and is falling apart. Basically my main entrance is falling apart and I need all new. Where do I start? I have seen some really good designs on this one website https://www.readydecks.com/ but I am unable to find any similar plans online. I would like to have something with a roof or covered deck that is 8x10ft minimum and preferably a little larger like what I got which is 10x16ft. I need a staircase on the side going up to the porch. How do I decide which type of wood, the components I will use to assemble the deck and possible tools I may need to acquire? I have a number of tools at work I can borrow.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-16, 01:09 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Building a deck is a fairly easy project for someone with construction or building experience, but I suspect that's not you. If you decide to go forward, here's four suggestions:
  • Speak to your local building department to get information on permits, inspections, and code requirements. This will give you an idea of the minimums necessary.
  • Abandon the idea of a covered space if you intend to do it yourself. A roof adds a lot to the project in terms of complexity.
  • Consider finding a qualified person to lead the project with you acting as a helper. This will lower the cost and provide you with some experience.
  • Get an estimate or two, then visit your local HD or Lowes and get some information on materials. You may find the labor cost of hiring someone is less than you think.

Old 11-13-16, 02:40 PM
Received 111 Votes on 102 Posts
100% agree, adding a roof is a very different animal. I've built 6 decks and would have to really give a roof some consideration.

Building department will have guidelines but my fort 3 decks came from this book. Read, reread and read again for first 3 decks.

How to Design & Build Decks & Patios by Ortho Books, Good Book 917102789 | eBay

My only other advise, go composite. I know the upfront cost is higher but in the long run it will save you money by never having to refinish, replace, or repair.

Old 11-13-16, 08:13 PM
Received 29 Votes on 25 Posts
Post a picture of what you have now so we can see what your seeing.
That way we can see if anything on your old deck is worth saving, what type roof you have, ECT.

Old 11-13-16, 11:27 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
porch

this is my porch. Its dark outside or I'd snap a picture. Metal roof, no gutter, mobile home. The staircase moves, but is completely shot. I guess I could just slap some new 16' 2x6's in place where the existing ones are. It just wouldn't look good.

Attached Images  
Old 11-14-16, 05:01 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 132 Votes on 118 Posts
That decks appears to have been built wrong to start with I'd definitely start over.
Adding a roof to a MH is even more complicated than normal so unless you're really set on a covered porch - I'd cross that off the list.