Attaching porch roof to brick veneer wall

Old 11-14-16, 09:24 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Attaching porch roof to brick veneer wall

Back story. I recently purchased a 1952 brick home. Very solidly built with poured concrete basement walls, very nice brick work I'm calling veneer since it's 1 brick thick. At the front door of the house I tore out a crumbling set of 2 half circle concrete and brick steps. I built a 6x6' porch/stoop, 2 cinder blocks high, filled and topped with 6" deep slab of concrete. I would like to build a gable roof over this for looks and because it gets full afternoon sun. I am sure I can tackle this myself but am stumped how to attach the ledger below the eaves. I've read to run lag bolts through the brick into the rim joist then I've read never to do that. Common sense tells me not to just attach to bricks no matter how well built but I just don't know if the 'through the brick to joist' is enough since this isn't a very large roof. I called my local county office (no city involved) and no permit or inspection is required so they had no guidance. Any and all advice here is greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-16, 04:48 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forums! You can lag the rim through the veneer with caution. Make your holes through the brick a little larger than the lag to allow for some movement and to prevent that movement from cracking your brick. Fill the holes with silicone and insert your lags with a washer on the exterior. You will need to do a cut in flashing all the over the gable and down to the eave, so that the flashing will sit on the roof and be embedded in the brick. Cutting with a grinder would probably be the best. Use a sealant to keep water infiltration out. NOW, with a gable roof, how do you plan on attaching the rafters? Is there any substrate or structure to which you can at least get one lag through to keep it from tilting away? How do you plan on supporting the outer edge of the porch? Posts should be in you plan.

Old 11-15-16, 07:29 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Definitely going to use post on each front corner, probably 4x4's wrapped to look nicer. I've attached pics of what I had, what I've got now, and and idea of what I want to do. Still trying to wrap my head around how to tackle the eave since there's guttering. Name:  IMG_1549.jpg
Views: 2087
Size:  47.4 KBName:  IMG_1610.jpg
Views: 1771
Size:  46.9 KBName:  portico.jpg
Views: 1525
Size:  50.4 KB

Old 11-15-16, 07:43 PM
Group Moderator
Received 249 Votes on 228 Posts
Looking at the picture of the look you are after, I'm not sure why you would want a ledger on the brick. IMO you would eventually cut the gutter on either side (it will take a lot of planning to know where to cut it so best to cut it long) and put an inside corner on the cut end so that you could extend the gutter out onto your new fascia... the new fascia will line up with the existing fascia. You would have 2 headers / beams that sit on top of your top plate and on top of your posts... and your rafters would sit on the beams and extend down to the fascia. The the rest of the roof is "built over" the existing roof... after you tear back shingles, of course. If you want it to look like something you might need the pitch on the new porch roof to be greater than the pitch on the rest of the house so that it stands out.

If you are wanting to cover the brick up under the entryway, you could do that with some 3/4" MDO tapconned to the mortar joints and if you plan it out well enough, trim could cover your screws. The rest is just trim and paint.

Old 11-16-16, 04:18 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Oooh, yeah. Did not realize what you were after. What Brant said is spot on. Nothing structural through the veneer. It all sits on top of your existing plates. Every thing else is just "pretty".