Patio Cover Plans

Old 12-06-16, 02:00 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Patio Cover Plans

I am constructing a patio cover to attach to the side of my house. It's roughly 16x22. It will be attached by ledger board at the house and will span to about 13 feet were it will meet 3 6x6 posts. It will be attached to 2 4x6 beams that span the length of the 6x6. The remainder will overhang on the other side. The roof will be just corrugated metal. The beams are connected to the post with through bolts. The beam also sits in a notch within the post for added support.
The rafters will be placed every 16". My question is will the 4x6 beam be enough?

Old 12-06-16, 06:32 AM
C
Received 169 Upvotes on 137 Posts
Please add your location to your profile so we know if you are dealing with snow or wind loads.

What size rafters?

Old 12-30-16, 07:44 PM
G
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
a 4x6 beam is basically a doubled up 2x6 beam, and no I don't think that would be code. At least use a 4x10, sometimes a 4x12, and with your 6x6 posts being no more than 6 feet apart. And the beam shouldn't overhang the posts on the end more than I think it's 1.5 foot, but depends on how thick of wood you use. If you must overhang it more than a foot or so, maybe put in some angle supports from end of beam to the post 45 degrees. This will also help brace the whole thing.

if you are in a snow area, then definitely not use a 4x6 beam, and definitely I would make the roof frame super strong like 10" oc 2x10s to support snow on top of corrugated. The manufacturer of the corrugated should be able to tell you the snow load rate per sq foot and then figure a cubic foot of snow weighs about 20 lbs, so 4 feet of snow would be like 80lbs, the corrugated is probably only rated for like 10lbs of snow per square foot, but that's if the joists under are 16 on center probably, so if you space the joists/rafters much closer, you should be fine.

Where you bolt the ledger to the house also is a concern. If you don't have a rim joist to bolt into and are trying to hit studs, be certain you are exactly in the center of the studs and predrill. I wouldn't attach anything to wall studs like this, only a beam, or make it free standing.

there are charts you can look up that tell the size wood you need. You can go by deck ratings probably. And then if there's snow consider how much 3-4 feet of wet snow would weigh. always better to overbuild then underbuild.

Old 12-31-16, 03:13 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
a 4x6 beam is basically a doubled up 2x6 beam, and no I don't think that would be code.
No it is a 4x6, which measures 3 1/2 x 5 1/2, whereas two 2x6's only measure 3" x 5 1/2. A 4x6 beam will span 8' just fine. Considering snow load, I would increase the size of the beam. If it is to be a closed in area, I would inlet a doubled 9 1/2" LVL for the full length.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: