Need help identifying deck material and recommended sealant

Old 02-10-17, 05:20 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need help identifying deck material and recommended sealant

Hi. New member here.

I'm trying to figure out what this deck surface is. It has the feel of a stucco-like material and a little Googling seems to indicate it may be called Dryvit, but I am not sure.

I am wondering if anyone knows for sure. I also want to seal or coat this deck this spring, it is starting to show small cracks at the edge juncture where it meets the flashing for the gutter. My understanding is that it may require an elastometric sealant?

Does anyone have any advice/product recommendations? Any info appreciated, thanks

Brad

Attached Images   
Old 02-10-17, 05:30 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
No good way for us to tell without being there to get the feel of it... looks like textured and tinted concrete to me... doubt it would be dryvit, that's really only used on walls. It might help to see the edging better. Or knowing if this is a over deck, over framing, if there's a crawl under, or what.

If you tap on it with a hammer, is it a solid high pitched sound, or a dull hollow thud? Some decks can be fiberglass coated, I'm not too familiar with it though.

Old 02-10-17, 06:03 PM
B
It is outside our bedroom and over our living room, so it is over an interior ceiling. You may be right about fiberglass given its over an interior room. If so, what coating/sealant do you think might be good? Thanks!

Last edited by b7j0c; 02-10-17 at 06:22 PM.
Old 02-11-17, 03:07 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Are you wanting to just seal it or change the color? I'd go to a local paint store [not paint dept] and ask them what they would recommend.

Old 02-11-17, 04:02 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I have done one deck like this for a client. Basically it is an Advantech decking onto which we laid down layer after layer of a latex fiberglas liquid (don't know the name) followed by sheets of fiberglas. Once there were sufficient layering, a final "walkable" coating was placed and allowed to dry. It looked very similar to yours. Flashing against the house was imperative as well as drip edging around the perimeter to move water away from the wood below.

Old 02-11-17, 07:00 AM
B
Thanks Chandler! This sounds about right. We have had issues with the drip edging over the years which is one of the reasons I wanted to put a fresh coat on (it was last painted three years ago).

So far, I have just been using clear silicone caulk to fill hairline cracks...is there something better? I tend to default to silicone as it is the least surprising tool for amateurs like myself

As for painting, it sounds like an oil-base marine-grade product is recommended(?)

Thanks!

Last edited by b7j0c; 02-11-17 at 07:22 AM.
Old 02-11-17, 08:17 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Oil base coatings tend to seal and wear [from traffic] better but latex coatings usually withstand the elements better. I've never painted a fiberglass deck before. When I run into something new/different to paint I'll often ask the paint rep at the store which of their coatings would be best for the upcoming job.

Paints don't adhere well over silicone caulk or it's residue

Old 02-11-17, 05:22 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Silicone is not your friend, although common discourse says it is right up there with sliced bread. Silicone will break down in sunlight and will not adhere to a walking surface like you think it will. I would open up any cracks you have sightly to where a resin type repair could be made using a fiberglas mesh tape.

Old 02-12-17, 07:37 PM
B
Agreed on silicone, I would never use it for anything more than a quickie/small fix. We live in California and have been pounded relentlessly by rains and I have been using it as a stopgap (pun intended!), but as soon as spring rolls around I think I just need to call a Sealing/Waterproofing contractor and have this deck repaired/resealed correctly. Even if i did the work myself I would pull out the silicone once our endless rains do in fact end....

Last edited by b7j0c; 02-12-17 at 09:47 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: