Repairing support end of my wood deck

Old 04-02-17, 11:31 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Repairing support end of my wood deck

I have a 12' square wood deck that is attached to and extends outward from the house. It consists of 2x8 joists (12' long) spaced 2' apart that run from the house out to the yard. The ends of the joists are about 16 inches from the ground to their tops. The ends of the joists are in poor shape, so I will sandwich each joist between new 2"x8"x2' long boards. Then I will place a concrete pier under each joist. Each pier has a cutout to install a 4x4 or a 2" board. This fix should last a few years until I can replace the entire deck (it's about 35 years old). Should I: 1. line up all the piers, place one 2"x8"x12' board into the 2" "slot" in the piers and rest the reinforced joists on top of that board? This was doesn't offer much stability for the 2" board in the pier. Or, 2. place each pier underneath a reinforced joist, then cut a piece off a 4x4 post, place it into the pier, and slide the pier/4x4 under each reinforced joist. This way appears to offer much more flexibility in their placement and they wouldn't have to be exactly aligned with each other. Which of these methods would be best?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-17, 05:12 PM
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
Sounds like you are using post blocks that sit on grade. The better solution is to support all posts on a beam say double 2x10 that has concrete piers poured on each end and in the center. You can cantilever these so that they are not exposed and hidden under the deck. It will be solid and provide you with years more worth of service.

Refer to the cantilever section and footing sections of the this code link - http://www.awc.org/pdf/codes-standar...Guide-1405.pdf

Old 04-12-17, 07:02 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you for your help, and also for the decking code PDF !