Ok winter's over (I hope) Time to clean my deck!

Old 04-14-17, 08:41 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ok winter's over (I hope) Time to clean my deck!

Ok, with winter over, I swept up all the pine needles and the red stain stayed on pretty good all winter and the white painted rails held up well also. Might have a couple touch-ups here and there, but that's about it.

There's only 1 small area about 2 inches long where the deck stain is gone. I consider myself pretty lucky!

Anyways, I swept it down , but still have to get all the needles out of the cracks and stuff and of course with all the snow that was on it all winter here and there, there are white splotches and stuff on it.

Should I just spray it down and use a brush on a handle lightly to clean it for summer? I don't want to mess up the stain, if I don't have to.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-17, 08:45 AM
B
Oh and I forgot all the bird crap and sap from that darned ol' spruce tree towering over the lower deck!

Old 04-14-17, 10:58 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 321 Votes on 285 Posts
While pressure washing makes the job easier it is not a requirement. A little detergent [maybe scrubbing] and rinsing off with a water hose should do fine. Sap can be another story, sometimes scraping it off works best.

Old 04-14-17, 01:00 PM
Received 371 Votes on 346 Posts
Love Simple Green, very good cleaner for everything except decks, presure washer is for cement not railings.

Old 04-14-17, 02:14 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I've pressure washed more wood than concrete and done correctly there is no issue with using a pressure washer on wood. The big mistake many make is trying to do all the cleaning SOLELY with the pressure washer. That can/will remove paint/stain and chew up the wood. The majority of the cleaning should be done with a cleaning agent using the pressure washer to make rinsing quicker/easier.

Old 05-03-17, 02:46 PM
B
I would not suggest detergent. They have chemicals that i dont like to get around my kids and pets.

Old 05-04-17, 03:28 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums bunk97!

I understand not everyone wants to use chemicals but they do make cleaning quicker/easier! I almost always use bleach when cleaning decks/siding during prep for new paint/stain because it is cheap and effective. Wetting vegetation before applying the cleaning agent to the wood and rinsing well during/after normally negates any harmful effects to the vegetation. Kids and pets shouldn't be allowed in the vicinity while the cleaning is being done. Once everything is rinsed well it should be safe for kids/pets.