Pergola posts question: 12'x16'

Old 04-17-17, 12:10 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pergola posts question: 12'x16'

Hi all,

I am building a 12'x16' pergola. I was planning on using 6"x6" posts to give the whole thing a beefier look and feel. It's very windy where I live, as well, and I want this structure to be able to withstand the elements. Would four posts be sufficient? Or should I plan on 6 posts, with three along the 16' side? I was planning on using 2"x6" beams connected to these posts.

I'm not planning on covering the pergola, so any snow or rain won't be accumulating on the top of it.

Sincere thanks for any insights,
C.J.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-17, 01:31 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I believe the key to its stability will hinge on what you connect the 6x6's to at the ground. Each should sit on its own footing measuring 12" in diameter and below the frost line, which in your case is 4 miles Just kidding, but it should be 3' or so. In addition, you should use post bases embedded or lagged into the footing and attached to the posts to keep them stable.

2x6 lumber won't span 12'. You didn't say what type lumber you would use. Redwood which is abundant in your area will span 9', whereas Southern Pine will span up to 11'. You will need to upgrade to 2x8 or double 2x6's.

Old 04-17-17, 03:38 PM
Received 88 Votes on 79 Posts
16' span is a too much so 3 posts would work out.

So what are you putting over the top?

Here is picture of my small pergola/arbor. Posts are 8x8, main headers are 2x10 w 2x8 on top.

Bigger is better!!

Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  34.5 KB

Old 04-17-17, 04:24 PM
Here's a picture I pulled off the internet that might be close to what you're looking for. Like Marq said, bigger is better.

Name:  pergola.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  43.0 KB

I don't care for the corbel profile in the picture, but I like the way the wood is notched over top of the main headers.

Old 04-17-17, 04:32 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Well, if everyone is showing off.......we built two matching swings for a retirement village locally. All the director had was a picture he saw in Savannah. Since it was a swing we had to bury the posts (grrrr), and we used 4 each 4x4's with decorative notched spacers. Still standing

Name:  swing.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  49.5 KB

Old 04-17-17, 06:57 PM
That looks really nice Larry.