Ideas for covering deck

Old 04-21-17, 11:34 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ideas for covering deck

Since my house doesn't have a covered porch, I'm looking for ideas on covering my deck. Purpose would be to keep off rain and sun. I've included photos below. The deck surface is approximately 12' x 13'.

Name:  deck_edited.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  35.5 KB

Name:  deck2_edited.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  37.0 KB

Name:  deck3_edited.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  44.5 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-17, 11:52 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 316 Votes on 280 Posts
Cover as with a roof? If so, you have to make sure you have support for the roof and the cantilever design of the deck makes that more complicated.

Old 04-21-17, 11:54 AM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Well, easiest would be a large patio umbrella. Next would be a retractable patio awning, but that would only cover half of the deck since the deck juts out past the house. But half of it in shade might be good enough and mounting a retractable awning to the back of the house is pretty straightforward.

You could build a permanent roof. I'd go with a gable design like the house, but offset so the peak is over the center of the deck. That would be a big project as you would probably need new footings and I would want to tie the roof in the house roof. That would be tricky again because the deck juts out past the wall. If I was going to go to all that work, I'd probably want to screen it in.
If you really want a permanent roof, it might be easier to rebuild the deck so it is all behind the house; that would simplify the roof a lot.