MY big chore in springtime ...arrgg!

Old 04-25-17, 03:20 PM
B
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
MY big chore in springtime ...arrgg!

Has anyone any ideas on anything new- in coating older decks?, This one is solid but has to be coated every few years. I don't mind the work so much. BUT!If you have any good news in redoing a deck, besides power washing and then pouring stain out and spreading it around.Can't you tell? I'm getting sick of this deck repair -renewal. Thanks for anytime you can spend -sharing what you may have on this chore thank you bob s

Attached Images   
Old 04-25-17, 03:25 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Decks generally need to be cleaned and recoated every 1-3 yrs. They see more weather than any other wood on your house. Using a quality deck stain helps but the only way to get away from the ongoing maintenance is to use a non wood type of decking.

Old 04-25-17, 04:58 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Yes, it's called composite decking.

That wood deck starts of cheaper but in the long when you count the hours and hours of labor you simply cant beat composit decking.

Old 04-25-17, 06:35 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
composite decking

I will be tearing my current deck floor out and replacing it with composite as well as the top rail. Then staining the rest of the deck to match. Just the most used areas will B composite. A pain yes but not as much as redoing the stain/paint every 2 years.

Old 04-26-17, 05:43 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
My last 3 homes had composite decking and I went with cedar posts and top and base cross boards for the railing which were stained.

Current deck is about 8 years and all stained surfaces are fine except the top surface of the bottom cross board.

Next deck I think I'll eliminate that exposed wood and have a true 100% maintenance free deck!

Old 04-26-17, 11:06 AM
B
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Thank you all for the needed tips. think i'll let it go one more summer and "redeck" it as you guys say. That way i can get caught up on the other ,repairs like all the 10x 6' shutters are loose ,and need paint, the asphalt drive needs recoating. so i have plenty to do this summer. bob s

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: