patio out the side of house...baseboard in the way

Old 05-08-17, 02:12 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
patio out the side of house...baseboard in the way

I am putting a deck on my house next month and want to install a sliding glass door from the living room out onto the deck. The issue I have is that the baseboard heater runs along that entire wall. Can I put sliding doors above the baseboard so I can step up onto the patio and not remove the baseboard?
?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-17, 02:51 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Oooh, difficult to picture. How will you suspend the sliding glass door 8" above everything just to miss the baseboard heat? Baseboard heat is usually installed in sections. You could possibly eliminate a couple of sections to all a normal installation of the door. Pictures of what you are talking about would certainly help. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 05-09-17, 12:01 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
I had a baseboard radiator below a sliding glass door in an apartment once. Whether that would be code-compliant these days, I don't know.

Old 05-09-17, 12:17 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 318 Votes on 282 Posts
I painted a house once that had a baseboard radiator in front of the sliding door - looked like a trip hazard to me even though it did have a wood 'tread' over the top of it. I'd figure out a way to remove/relocate the baseboard heater in front of the proposed door opening!

Old 05-09-17, 12:28 PM
A
Received 67 Votes on 61 Posts
Trip hazard, water intrusion, etc. Nah. No time like the present to do it right. You'll have to pop the cover off and see, then either remove or shorten a section so that it stops short of the new opening. Then you can do a typical installation of the door and step down to the deck as you should. The biggest issue you will have is finishing the floor, but should be able to see what problems that may present once you get the cover off. If it's carpet, and they didn't cut it short, may not be too bad.