Deck boards splitting and gap large

Old 07-01-17, 02:22 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Deck boards splitting and gap large

So, i had a new deck build. The deck was inspected and the inspector indicated it was one of the best build decks he has ever seen. It was a reputable small company.

The decking they put down was PT wood with cedar tone in it. It was all i could afford (all that was in the budget) for now, thinking i'd upgrade 10 years down the road. (i am sick and wanted something nice to sit outside as i cant leave often).

Now, the boards must still have been wet when they put them down, because cracks and splitting is appearing. They used 16d nails between boards when putting them down, but now the boards are 3/8th apart and still have 16% moisture in them.

Here are some pictures of the splitting after 1 week in the sun. i am thinking they will split more. All the wood they got was from a reputable lumberyard, but the decking they got from HD, or varios HDs after checking for straightness etc...

Maybe i am too picky, if so, please tell me!

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Old 07-01-17, 02:42 PM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Using a nail as a spacer is pretty standard although when I know the wood is wet I butt them right together, they always shrink. Wet yes, PT wood is about the wettest you will ever get. The cracks in the pictures are to be expected. Only difference for me is I use 3 screws where they have two.

The pros will be along but to me it looks like a good job.

Bud

Old 07-02-17, 02:40 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
That looks pretty normal for wood deck, really should have just spent the extra and gotten composite decking installed, now in the long run it will cost more plus all the maintenance you will be faced with.

And with composite you would not have all those screws showing which in the one picture are very uneven, that would bug the hell out of me!

Old 07-02-17, 03:04 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Like Bud, I've always butted wet PT decking together. Once it dries the gaps are generally about right. I'm a little surprised they only used 2 screws instead of 3 at each joist. The cracking looks normal for PT.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: