Attaching a freestanding deck to a brick home in Brookhaven GA.

Old 07-07-17, 07:32 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Attaching a freestanding deck to a brick home in Brookhaven GA.

I am going to rebuild a deck as a freestanding deck . According to everything I've seen you do not attach it to the home but in Brookhaven GA in Atlanta I think they want you to attach it also unless I miss interpreted the building department there.
I know it would help for lateral movement but one purpose of a freestanding is to avoid the attachment and avoid rotting as well as structure of the brick veneer. Has anyone come across this before .
thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-17, 09:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 214 Votes on 199 Posts
They may want lateral restraints, but ledgers are surely not attached "to the brick" by code unless they are on crack. You don't attach to brick because brick has a 1" (or so) space behind it and bolting to the structure behind the veneer or any lateral deflection at any point in time thereafter can cause the veneer to fail. The veneer has no lateral strength and can be crushed under pressure. I don't know why you would invite that possibility, even if the deck is freestanding.

Perhaps what they want to see is a deck standoff bracket, (such as the Maine Standoff Bracket) which would be installed onto the framing... the brick veneer is installed around it during construction.

Old 07-10-17, 01:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 49 Votes on 46 Posts
FWIW, by definition a 'freestanding' deck cannot be attached to the house.

Old 07-10-17, 05:34 PM
Received 106 Votes on 97 Posts
by definition a 'freestanding' deck cannot be attached to the house.
Well, then I have a hybrid deck.

It's freestanding, there is nothing structural attached to the house but I did come up with a set of lateral braces that go from the deck rim joist to the house rim joists which pass thru an opening in the brick.

The stability of the deck was greatly enhanced with those 3 connections.