Deck Wood

Old 05-02-01, 02:46 PM
Visiting Guest
My deck is approx. 1,000 sq.ft, 10 yrs old, and is built with pressure treated lumber. The 5/4 pressure treated walking surface is in very bad condition, including splitting, cracking. I would like to replace the top walking surface, and am receiving many pro's and con's on each of the different type of wood. I would like to use whatever wood would provide the most appealing, long lasting, and low maintainence, results possible. What type of wood surface would you recommend. I prefer to use natural real woods.

For example,

Cedar provides a beautiful result, but is a soft wood, subject to furniture marks, scratching, etc.

Redwood provides a beautiful result, but darkens to almost black when it weathers.

Pressure treated splits and cracks.

Other carpenters have advised everything from teak to cypress, but I doubt those woods would be readily available and may be cost prohibitive.

What would you suggest is the very best wood to use, that would result in a beautiful, long lasting result.

Old 05-02-01, 06:00 PM
Visiting Guest
Kevin:

The problem with Redwood and Cedar is that they are soft woods. when using these you have a good chance of marking it up with furniture...dents and dings.

I've seen some decks built with Oak but be sure to get it well dried and a good thickness.

I personally prefer a high grade pressure treated with less knots and also always use 2X6 decking rather than 5/4. The 2X6 decking is about 1 5/8" thick rather than the 1" you have. To get the better grade pressure treated check with your local lumber store.

Tom

Old 05-03-01, 08:47 AM
Visiting Guest
Go with cedar 2x6 radius edge. I can get it now for less than 5/4 CCA. Makes for a beautiful deck. Do not use galvanized fasteners in the cedar.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: