Some of the steps on stringer are damaged - Repair/Replace

Old 07-16-17, 08:47 PM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Some of the steps on stringer are damaged - Repair/Replace

I had to replace the stair treads on my deck stairs. After I had them all removed, the stingers have some missing pieces where the nails split the wood. there are two that are missing a 1-3in piece of the triangle part of the stringer. Is the proper repair to repalce the stringers or can I just do a repair? I could sister on a piece of work or prehaps even better would be to add a riser that would support the tread? The stringers are 15 steps long. The previous home owner added a support about half way downso the stairs were pretty stable.
Appreciate any comments

Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-17, 10:39 PM
Received 394 Votes on 368 Posts
How old? Hard work is done, might be easier to just replace and be done!

Old 07-17-17, 07:08 AM
I
The home was built in 2002 (Atlanta area). The treads were in real bad shape. I was a little surprized by the condition of the stringers.

I agree that the hard work is done. The challenge is that I don't have a vehicle to get the stringers home.

Also the spouse would prefer ti see the stairs wrap around one of the corners on the deck instead of a single straight shot. This complicates the project quite a bit.

Old 08-04-17, 07:43 PM
I
So decided I need to replace the stringers and while I was at it, redo the deck boards and then while I was at it, the rails and posts.
Most of this is straight forward but since the work involved the deck rails and stringers, I will need to get an inspection. I don't want to do anything that won't pass inspection.

I guess the question is how much gets grand fathered in. In my case, the 6x6 desk posts holding up the deck floor are just toe nailed into deck joists. Current code is that the deck floor be attached to the deck joists with carriage bolts or with a metal bracket that sits on top of the post where the bracket is attached to the post and joist.
Since that is not what I have, will the inspector insist that i change how they are attached? I was hoping not to have to take the deck floor down. If I had too, I guess I might be able to jack the deck up and slide the bracket into place.

I don't think I am trying to cut corners, just don't want to be surprised by the inspector after the project is done.

Appreciate any comments.

Old 08-05-17, 06:58 AM
J
How about talking to the inspector before you begin any work? FWIW, the typical responses I have gotten from inspectors when doing small fixit stuff is that they would not require that the area to be brought up to current code if it was compliant with the code that was current at the time when the work was originally done.
Have the talk....the response might be dependent on the extent of work that you are doing.