Rotting cedar siding after starting to remove deck

Old 07-21-17, 08:13 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Rotting cedar siding after starting to remove deck

Hi there, hoping someone can give some advice here.

I have started to replace the decking that wraps around most of my house. After starting to remove some of the pine boards, I can see that where they have been butted up against the house (rusticated cedar) that the cedar has started to rot. Not hugely surprising as there is no gap between the stringer and the cedar.

I'm not sure what my options are here, replacing the boards looks to be nigh impossible as there are joists/the stringer that run either side of the cladding and would. Leaving it as is is an option I guess, but not sure what the longer term impact would be on the joists. Some photos below that hopefully make it clearer (first of the rot, second shows the cedar sandwiched between the joists.

Would appreciate any advice. Thanks

Name:  IMG_2108.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  50.5 KB
Name:  IMG_2106.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  18.1 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-17, 08:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 218 Votes on 203 Posts
Well first off, your ledger should have a metal z-flashing over it (and up the wall behind the siding) to prevent water from getting behind it and rotting out the wall. The decking goes over that, and your siding is usually best kept above that. That way you never have siding buried behind your deck boards.

Old 07-21-17, 09:10 PM
Thanks, yes I know it hasn't been done correctly. It looks to be original from when the house was build, long before we bought. Would you think that the only option is to try and remove the existing ledger, replace the siding and then put in a new ledger to code?

Old 07-21-17, 09:16 PM
Group Moderator
Received 218 Votes on 203 Posts
That's one option.

If you are removing all the decking, you could also take a skilsaw, set it deep enough to cut through only the siding and make a horizontal cut 1 1/2" above the ledger. Then sawzall along the top of the ledger, and cut out that section of siding. This would allow you to get a pry bar under the siding and pull nails so that you could tuck a ledger flashing under there.

But yeah, depending on how the ledger was attached, it might be wiser to correct it. If the ledger is only nailed on, that's not good.

Old 07-21-17, 09:27 PM
Thanks, appreciate the advice. Will have to put some more thought into exactly the best way to proceed.

Old 07-22-17, 08:07 AM
Received 28 Votes on 24 Posts
What size is that ledger board?
Idealy no siding should have been within 6" of that decking.
If I was rebuilding that deck and fixing the wall I'd be adding footings and a new beam and post to make the deck free standing, removing and replacing the siding that's damaged making sure to preseal it before installing.
That way there's no need for a ledger attached to the house.