Installing pavers over concrete or starting over

Old 07-29-17, 01:09 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Installing pavers over concrete or starting over

Hi All,

We have a back concrete patio for a 1950s house we bought. It very cracked on the half away from the house due to the roots of large trees that had grown. I pulled up half the concrete patio and had the stumps grinder and have pulled all the roots under the area. The concrete half that is left runs to the house and doesn't have any cracks in it.

I want to out down pavers and am trying to find out the best way to go about it. Do I level out the area without concrete with dirt then just put a layer of sand over the direct and concrete to run the pavers over the concrete and dirt area to cover the same space as the original patio? Is it best to continue ripping up all the remaining concrete patio and just start over completely to put the pavers down?

The patio sits flush with the ground so anything on top of that would look a bit strange and be much higher than the ground. The remaining concrete is also currently pitching away from the house. Attached are some photos. Thanks in advance for any input!

Attached Images     
Old 07-29-17, 02:56 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
The main thing I'm concerned about is the elevation. How far is the concrete slab below where the wood and siding starts on your home? I always want several inches at the minimum and the more the better. In your case it looks like the concrete is at the level of the siding. If you add a layer of pavers on top you'll trap water up next to the wood framing and siding causing rot.

Old 07-29-17, 05:01 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
That makes sense, I had though about that but wasn't sure since there hadn't been an issue where it is joining now if it would get worse. Is the thinking that I should just continue and pull all the concrete up all the way to the house and start fresh with the pavers? Pics of where the current concrete joins the house. I have also no idea what condition it is or if it is brick going below the wood siding, was a bit concerned if I pulled up all the concrete that is flush with the house that it might reveal some bigger issues.

Attached Images     
Old 07-29-17, 06:36 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
If you are up for it I would remove the concrete and do some grading so your new finished patio will be 2-4" lower than the current slab. It looks like that means you will have a downslope from the fence so maybe there will be a ditch or valley several feet from the fence to carry water away.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: