Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Decks, Patios, Porches, Walkways, Driveways, Stairs, Steps and Docks
Reload this Page >

Question regarding support posts and beam replacement for cantilever deck

Question regarding support posts and beam replacement for cantilever deck

Old 08-07-17, 01:26 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Post Question regarding support posts and beam replacement for cantilever deck

I have a 12 x 16ft cantilever deck. There is some rot on the three support posts and they will need to be replaced. I currently have three 4 x 4 supports posts with two 2 x 8s bolted on each side (which isn't code for my area). The deck is attached to the house (with the 16ft side attached to house). The deck extends about 10 ft to the beam, then a two foot overhang past the beam. The deck is less than 2ft above ground.

I'm looking at options for the post and beam replacement. Code is to use notched 6 x 6s (or larger) with 2 x 8s or 2 x 10s, like is this picture

Currently there is about 7ft of space between the three 4 x 4 support posts. I'm not sure if I have enough posts. Also, I've had some recommendations to use 2 x 10s instead of 2 x 8s for the beam, but since my deck is less than 2ft above ground, there wouldnt but much post before the notch begins, meaning the majority of the post would be approx 2.5in in width where the notch is cut and I'm concerned about lateral support

So, I'm trying to decide between these three options:

1. Use three 6 x 6s notched with two 2 x 8s for the girder and use 12 x 12 x 8in pier blocks for footers

2. Use five 6 x 6s notched with two 2 x 8s for the girder and use 12 x 12 x 8in pier blocks for footers, reusing the holes for my current posts since that area has already settled with the weight of the deck (instead of going with maybe four posts digging all new holes and potentially not having the deck be level after settling) and then adding two additional 6 x 6posts in between, so five 6 x 6 posts approx 3.5 ft apart.

3. Use three 8 x 8s notched with two 2 x 10s for the girder and use 12 x 12 x 8in pier blocks if possible. With 8 x 8s the notched part of the posts would still be about 4.5 inches wide and I would feel more comfortable using 2 x 10s for the beam. I know someone who had a few 6 x 6 deck posts split at the notch so that raised some concerns.

Sponsored Links