Deck Repairs - New home owner looking for advice

Old 08-12-17, 01:21 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Deck Repairs - New home owner looking for advice

Hi all,

I recently bought my first house, and still learning the ropes for some basic maintence. Looking for some advice on deck maintence.

My plan is sand / seal my very weathered deck. But there are a few boards that are in pretty rough shape from the years of neglect.

There are four problem areas I'd like to get opinions on whether or not the wood can be repaired. As I haven't worked with wood much (at all) I'm not sure how to identify what's fubar and what's salvagable.

Problem 1:
The end of this 2x6 started to break away / deteorate. Note: The rest of the board seems solid still.

Problem 2:
Similar as problem 1, but in the middle of the board. Note: The rest of the board seems solid still.

Problem 3:
This entire board looks very weathered and exposing the grain.

Problem 4:
This corner has started to break away.

If you suggest repair, can you point me toward a method of repair? I've looked up various wood fillers, and it looks like there are about 9 ways to skin this cat. However, I wasn't sure which one would be best for exterior / extensive mending

If you suggest replace, any tips on how to identify the wood type?
Thanks for any of the advice!

Link to images of problems:
Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Old 08-12-17, 03:06 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
If any part of the board is bad then replace it. Your wood looks like pressure treated pine which is available at any lumber yard or big box home center.

Old 08-12-17, 03:25 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Sorry. from the pictures I dont see much that is salvageable, how old it the deck?

Hopefully the structure is sound, if so consider composite and eliminate all the negative issues with a wood deck top.

You will not regret the decision!!

Old 08-13-17, 02:14 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I agree, your deck is at the end of it's life. Bare minimum would be to replace any of the rotten boards. Not sure there is much to be gained by sanding. I'd use a solid deck stain. The new boards will still stand out but at least the deck will be safe.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: