Exterior caulk and filler?

Old 08-12-17, 07:55 AM
Received 4 Votes on 2 Posts
Exterior caulk and filler?

Doing a deck refurb and the outside stringers have some nail dings and imperfections... what can I use to coat the stringers before painting to smooth out the surface?

AND, I added a 2 x 6 wall skirt and I want to caulk the joined portions... I've used an acrylic caulk before but it doesn't last outside well, should I use a poly caulk?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-17, 08:30 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 132 Votes on 118 Posts
Are you painting or staining the deck? Given a choice I'd never paint a deck - stain only.

It can be difficult to get caulk to hold on exposed pressure treated wood, impossible if the wood is still wet from the PT process! Not all latex caulks are the same, I normally use a siliconized acrylic latex caulk [it's paintable]

Old 08-12-17, 10:32 AM
Received 4 Votes on 2 Posts
the deck will be composite... but the stringers are existing PT wood painted white.

Old 08-13-17, 01:22 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Probably better off not coating the stringers with any patching. Regular patching will crack and fail. An elastomeric like Dap Elastopatch will last because it flexes with weather changes, but would have to be pretty perfect with the patch as it's not really sandable.

Tower Tech 2 arcylic/ urethane is a great exterior caulk for painters. Best chance not to fail next to the harder to use poly caulks.

Old 08-13-17, 01:32 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
And Top Gun 400 caulk from Pittsburgh Paint stores is relabeled Tower Tech 2 and the same caulk.