How to grade an area totally level - no bumpy areas

Old 08-14-17, 04:43 AM
M
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
How to grade an area totally level - no bumpy areas

(In reference to my earlier post on building out a 20'x20' platform:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...yhVkDqtLEKmbCQ)

I've got the area flat from a grading perspective but there's still lumps and bumps that need to be smoothed out in order for the 2x6s to lay flat.
Any tips on producing a pretty much totally flat surface?

(the dirts been evened out more than the picture shows)

Attached Images  
Old 08-14-17, 06:00 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
A lot can be done just by eye. I had a job to grade a hole for an in ground pool once. I had nothing but shovels, no lasers or sting lines. I was only an 1 1/2" off. Keep in mind, that you want to pitch the platform a little so that the water won't collect.

Old 08-14-17, 07:07 AM
A
Received 73 Upvotes on 66 Posts
If those boards lying on the ground are the borders, I see a lot of sod still in place, and that has to go. After that, it's a matter of going through the entire area with a steel rake and maybe a pitchfork if you have one to remove all of the clumps, leaving you with just soil to level out. Then you could set some stakes and use lines, string level, and a tape measure to get it as close as it needs to be. Rather having to constantly bend over and measure though, I would measure from the line to the ground at a starting point and wrap a piece of tape on the rake handle at the appropriate place so I could stand the rake up and check myself every so often. Looks like a fair amount of work and cost, based on your other post, so, in addition to what Mark said there about air flow under this platform, I don't think you are going to find treated 2x's rated for ground contact, so the life may be significantly shorter than you expect; best choice would be to follow the suggestions in the other thread and go with typical deck construction.

Old 08-14-17, 07:45 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
I haven't read your other thread so I don't know what you're trying to accomplish but if you intend to build on those boards, I would be creating a compacted base under them; not putting them on soil (or, worse yet as pointed out, grass).

Old 08-14-17, 08:48 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Should keep threads together, but I recall this and from your latest post you are building this flat on the ground?

I always assumed this was going to be a deck structure, with posts and elevated above the ground.

Unless I'm reading this wrong you are going to have a lot of issues with water, levelness, structural support if this is just laying on the ground!

Old 08-14-17, 10:28 AM
M
A deck requires the permit application process and increased property tax.
A wood patio (criterion beling that the base be supported by the ground) requires no permit as long as it's not taller than 7'

I was planning to clear out the grass, level the dirt, lay down the boards flat, and put 3/4" plywood sheets over the flat boards.

I did this once before on a different property with only the 3/4" plywood sheets directly on grass and years later the sheets are still not compromised other than normal age/wear and tear.

Old 08-14-17, 03:32 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
His deck might be under 18" which doesn't require a permit.

Old 08-15-17, 04:49 AM
M
I'm pretty sure I need to go over the area with a dirt tamper:
Ames 8 in. x 8 in. Steel Tamper-2233400 - The Home Depot

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: