Sun Shade Over Decking / Rail Posts

Old 08-13-17, 08:28 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Sun Shade Over Decking / Rail Posts

I would like to add a sun shade to my deck. I am wondering if it would work to attach a 8-10ft 4x4 (3.5x3.5) post onto my existing 4x4 deck railing posts? Or would it be better to just remove the existing post and install the new 8-10 footer? I've added an image for reference.

Name:  deckimage.jpg
Views: 529
Size:  50.8 KB

or just use some metal bracketing like this image:

Name:  shadesail_support_post-195x765.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  20.9 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-17, 05:42 AM
Group Moderator
Received 260 Votes on 235 Posts
A lot depends on where you are located and what winds you get during the summer and on how large a sail you want to install. You can get away with minimal support if you only put the sail up when you are using it and don't leave it up during a thunderstorm. If the sail is up during a wind storm it can exert tremendous force on it's mounts.

In your case best would be to install posts just for the shade sail and have them go down into the ground. 6x6 would be best as it looks like you'll have 12' or more above ground. The problem with attaching anything to the railing is the railing is not intended for those kinds of loads. Putting your posts at the corner will help as the two railings running out at 90 degrees will provide additional support but it's not ideal.