Deck fastener

Old 08-15-17, 07:21 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Deck fastener

I am replacing a second story deck and have a question about fasteners.

The rim joist of the house to which the ledger will attach is parallel to the joists inside the house. Thus there are no interior floor joists into whose ends I can drive the 1/2" lag bolts that support the ledger.

The deck ledger is 15' long and the deck has a span of about 8'. I am using 4X6 PT joists (overdesigned for weight, I know) with 12" deck joist spacing for about 1000 lb. live weight load.

All of the literature I see shows lag bolts connecting to the butt ends of interior floor joists.

The prior deck stood just fine. To bring it to code do I have to install perpendicular blocking between the inside of the house rim joist and the first inside floor joist? And then use tension ties? If so, how many blocks do I have to use?

As I read this article, I can use tension fasteners in four spots and avoid opening the interior ceiling to access joists.

http://www.deckmagazine.com/design-c...-load-detail_o

Pinch me. Has a code changed IN MY FAVOR? I must be dreaming.

THanks a lot!

Last edited by debeze; 08-15-17 at 07:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-17, 07:47 PM
Group Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 51 Posts
Carriage bolts through the ledger - bolts into end grain don't hold all that well anyway.

Old 08-15-17, 07:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 243 Votes on 224 Posts
This is a guide we often refer to, its produced by the American Wood Council.
This one conforms to the 2012 IRC. http://www.awc.org/pdf/codes-standar...Guide-1405.pdf

In answer to your question, see Figure 19 and 23.

Your existing rim has enough vertical load bearing ability to hold the ledger... (just like the rim has when the joists are perpendicular... it is no different.) What you need to be concerned with is that the ledger must not be able to pull away. That is where lateral load devices enter in. They are done one way when the joists are perpendicular and another way when they are parallel. And that is the only difference between the two.

In Figure 23, also note that perpendicular blocking between joists has been added at the lateral load device locations. The extent of the blocking is 6' minimum.

Old 08-30-17, 10:41 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the information. I marking up the ledger today.