Need a tool that can ratchet (1/2") rope

Old 08-26-17, 07:55 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need a tool that can ratchet (1/2") rope

I pull the (1/2" nylon) ropes together as hard as I can and a buddy ties them together but there's still way too much play.
Is there a ratcheting tool that can pull them taught?
Or maybe it's the nylon itself that's too flexible and I need a stiffer kind of rope? (I know nothing about rope)

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-17, 08:53 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Use turnbuckles to fasten the rope. Place foam pipe insulation over the turnbuckles after the rope is tightened. to pad them if needed.

Use a come-along for initial tightenin

Attached Images  
Old 08-26-17, 10:27 AM
H
Received 89 Votes on 79 Posts
What's the load rating on the rope? Even under a hundred pounds of tension, you're still going to get a significant amount of play between the poles if the rope is threaded around the entire perimeter of the ring
(I worked as an arborist / climber for a few years, climbing and cutting and lower tree limbs with this kind of rope)

Use a rolling hitch to grab the existing rope, pull tight with a come-along (hand winch) or a winch-knot then re-tie.

Also, new nylon rope will keep stretching for a while before it tightens up, so you'll have to keep re-tensioning.

(edit)-
Hmm, thinking about this for a bit- came up with a few options.

Instead of 3 bands of rope stretching the entire perimeter, it might be easier to have each band be 4 segments of rope, ( from post to post). This would require more knots, but ought to reduce the play by 1/4 because each rope segment would be 1/4 the length.

So, instead of 3 loops of rope around the entire perimeter of the square, you'd have 12 segments of rope, going from post to post.
So, imagine posts at compas points(diamond) top rope is tied with a loop around north post, (threaded through ferrules (rings) and then the rope is tensioned and wrapped around the east post 4 or 5 times then tied off.
Repeat for middle and bottomropes.
Repeat at the other 3 sides.

For tensioning, I'd just get a piece of rope, tie it to the end of the top rope with a rolling hitch, wrap it around a 2x4 braced against the post and pull to put tension on the top rope, and allow you to re-tension by wrapping the remaining rope around the post. If you're not good with knots, you might try a boating cam/cleat as a quick way to grab the rope you want to tension.

Last edited by Hal_S; 08-26-17 at 01:02 PM.
Old 08-26-17, 04:35 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 595 Votes on 549 Posts
Search for a "truckers hitch knot". It allows you to easily apply a lot of force (2:1) to rope and easily tie it off.

Old 08-26-17, 05:47 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Old 08-26-17, 06:07 PM
H
Received 89 Votes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Pilot Dane

Search for a "truckers hitch knot". It allows you to easily apply a lot of force (2:1) to rope and easily tie it off.
Eh, in my experience, the slip-knot winch is only for emergencies when you can't untie the line to re-set it.
(e.g. you've tied off to a tree to control it, the wind pushes it the wrong way, and you suddenly need to winch it back..)

Problem is when you tie a slip knot on 1/2 nylon rope and add lots of tension, you're likely to seize the knot and wreck the rope.

So, if you're going to use a rope winch from the start do yourself a favor and tie a bolens knot instead of slip knot.
They don't seize the rope, and you don't spend 20 minutes trying to untie the knot.
Oh, you can tie multiple winch knots on the same rope, the first gets you 3x, the second gets you 5x and a 3rd gets you 7x force multiplication.