Refurbishing Deck -Lots of questions

Old 08-29-17, 07:52 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Refurbishing Deck -Lots of questions

I have started the process of refurbishing my deck. I am replacing the deck floor, posts and rails and hope to install switch back stairs to replace the existing straight 16 step stairs. I have a copy of the GA deck building guide and will be using that on the new post and rails.

as always though the issue is with the details. The deck is just rectangular and the switch back stairs will be off of one corner of the deck. My deck post for the rails will be mounted out side of the deck surface
1. Is it better for the deck floor boards to extend slightly beyond the deck frame (i.e. perhaps 1.5in) or should they be flush with the deck frame?
2. I plan on using the guidelines for attaching the posts (bracing and holdback connector. There is a maximum 6ft distance between post but I am interested in where the posts should be located (My deck post for the rails will be mounted out side of the deck frame). Which is best positon for posts in a corner. As clost to the corner as reasonable (with no need of a railing between them) or further apart so you can install a railing and ballaster. What about post for the corner where the stairs will be located.

I have attached a proposed deck layout with the post postions I am looking at. I have not thought too much about the landing yet. I was looking at an approx. 8x8 landing built on 6x6 posts with a 2x10 deck frame. I have not figured out the spacing from the original deck or the layout of the stringers..

Would someone have a recommended deck building guide or books that would have pictures showing the details?

Appreciate any comments.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-17, 09:55 AM
Received 111 Votes on 102 Posts
So you are going to get a lot of assistance, having built my share of decks some of the high level features I would never do without.

1) Make it a composite deck. I understand that there is an initial cost hit but years down the road you will look back and be so glad you did not use wood. I challenge you to search for threads where folks complained about their composite decks compared to wood!

2) Use Titan style railing anchors, they are the most solid, secure & cleanest type of anchor around, again, you will be glad you made the investment.

Old 08-29-17, 10:15 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The only down side of composite is if you have children who like to go bare footed, it can be hot. The decking should end at the rim joist. Do you really need the landing & the turn around? Is that what currently exists? The balusters on the railing can't be more than 4" apart.

Old 08-29-17, 11:28 AM
The original stairs don't have a landing but they are in are about 5feet away from the house and affect the light coming into the basement windows. By doing the switch back, I am goin out into unused area of the yars and freeing up space closer to the house. I know it complicates things quite a bit it does fit the house layout better

Old 08-29-17, 11:32 AM
I had to forgo the composite decking. It was more than twice the price of Treated lumber.
I will take a look at the Titan style railing anchors. Curious to see how they attach to the Deck. My main deck floor is 12 feet above patio.

Old 08-29-17, 11:36 AM
So if you look at the corners in the proposed deck there are 2 4in posts at each corner.I have seen pictures of decks where it is down that way (post close enough that you don't need a rail and ballaster between but I don't find it that attractive. I haven't seen any close up pictures of alternatives

Old 08-29-17, 11:57 AM
what about using neoprene sealing tape on the joints tops

Old 08-30-17, 05:51 PM
Received 111 Votes on 102 Posts
The only down side of composite is if you have children who like to go bare footed, it can be hot.
This is like the wives tale where hot water freezes faster than cold.

Has absolutely nothing to do with compost. If you have dark color stain, or composite it will absorb more heat.

I have a dark cedar color that is in direct sun and is never a concern even when the kids are lying on it getting a tan.

Lets stop that insane statement right now!

As far as cost, over the next 10 years you will be spending countless hours staining and replacing boards. Pay now or pay later!!!!!

As our local Manns lumber ads state, man up and do the right thing, you will not regret!!

Old 08-30-17, 05:57 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
As our local Manns lumber ads state, man up and do the right thing, you will not regret!!
Is that supposed to be some profound philosophy from a modern day thinker? It's almost as bad as "It is what it is".

Old 08-30-17, 06:42 PM
For better or for worse, it is going to be treated southern pine. Appreciate the look and durability of composite. Just didn't have the money to do it that way.

I took a look at the titan post supports mentioned. I assume there has to be blocking installed under the deck floor. The pictures and description I have seen are not clear.

I am probablty going to end up with the 4x4 posts I have now located at the positions in my sketch. 2 rows of 2x4 with metal ballasters and a top rail using a 1.25x6 deck board. (until I think of something better<grin>)