Deck beam repair

Old 08-30-17, 06:32 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Deck beam repair

I pulled down the railing and posts on my deck a couple of days ago. The deck is 16ft wide and goes out about 10 ft from the house. There is a beam supporting the deck on the far end that is made up of 2 2x12 treated southern pine boards. The joists are supported by a 2x2. The 2x12 beam is sitting on top of 3 6x6 posts that are 8ft apart

When taking the corner post down, I torn a piece off of the end of the outside 2x12 .where the nalis and lag bolt were located.

A couple of questions.
1. Should I replace the 2x12? I am guessing the answer is yes but would be reliaved to here there were easy options.
2. If so, can it be done in place by un-sistering the 2 2x12 and installing a new 2x12? I am assuming the 2x12 are nailed together
Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-17, 08:00 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I'm not sure what you meant by the "far end of that", far end of what? I don't see why you have to replace an entire beam because a small piece was damaged.

Old 08-31-17, 03:51 PM
Here is a picture of the end of the beam. There is no damage to the inside 2x12. The chunk fo wood was at the interection of the lag bolt and nails and was pulled out when the post came off.

Attached Images  
Old 08-31-17, 04:25 PM
Group Moderator
Received 243 Votes on 224 Posts
It looks like a cosmetic problem to me. Looks like the double 2x12 is still bearing on the post, and its being sistered helps. Its too bad it happened but it's not the end of the world. I would patch it with a wood epoxy that is rated for exterior use, and forget it.

If it bugs you and you want to replace it you can, but you might find that those two 2x12s are fastened together pretty well... and if there are joist hangers, their nails also might present a problem if you want to pull the outer 2x12 off.

If you go by the 2015 IRC code, it has no provision for holes or notches in beams, but I doubt that code has been adopted in too many locales.

Old 08-31-17, 05:18 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I agree with Xsleeper. Patch it & forget about it.