Freez thaw cycles and installing a wall with stone veneer

Old 09-03-17, 07:18 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Freez thaw cycles and installing a wall with stone veneer

I had a contractor install a Unilock paver patio with a 3 foot wall around the border. The wall is cinderblock covered with stone veneer. At the bottom of the stone veneer, where it meets the paver floor of the patio, the installer left about a 1/2 to 3/4 inch gap. I was told the gap is due to the freeze thaw cycles we see here in the Clevelend, Ohio area. Without the gap, the installer said the bottom veneer is likely to pop off the wall. I would like to fill the gap with a material that is flexible enough to not cause problems when I start into the freeze/thaw cycle. Any suggestions on a flexible material that would fill the gap, and not cause me problems, is most appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-17, 07:39 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sika caulking can fill the gap but I can't say that it's guaranteed to withstand the cycles that you described. Plus, it will take a lot of tubes unless you fill part of gap with something else such as a backer rod.

Old 09-03-17, 08:29 AM
Received 78 Votes on 72 Posts
I would say leave it. Follow what the professional advises. During the spring and summer you might want to spray a herbicide in the groove to prevent grass and weeds from growing. But use sparingly. It will leech out and kill surrounding grass.