Deck Extension

Old 09-08-17, 10:44 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Deck Extension

I have a cabin built on a rocky slope and I want to add 4' onto the deck to get a semi wrap-around deck. The current deck runs south off the cabin in two sections. One is covered and there is a lower level (3 steps) to the open deck. To the west is the water and that's the direction I want to build.<br />
At the outer extension, it will be 10' off the ground (see picture). The ledger will be 2x10 as will the deck rim joists. The actual joists will be 2x8's set at 16&quot; centers. There will be a deck beam at the 3' mark from the ledger. All joints will be held with Simpson Strong Ties and the ledger will be bolted to the house rim joist as per code (the siding will be removed to allow the ledger to be bolted to the house rim and will have flashing, wrap, etc.). There will also be lateral load connectors spaced along the run. All wood is treated. The cabin and covered deck are supported on 8x8 posts, 10' centers, set onto concrete pads which are, in turn, on rock. <br />
What I would like to do is run the deck beam supports down from the 3' mark to the support posts (see drawing). Either at 45 deg. or 48 deg. (which I am leaning towards). The supports would be bolted through on both ends. Using the 45 deg. angles the support would bolt in 3' down from the ledger and using the 48 deg. angle, the support would bolt in 40&quot; from the ledger.<br />
<br />
As near as I can figure, the support structure I described is far above requirements but always like different opinions.

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-17, 02:15 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
That kind of design would make me nervous. Are vertical posts not an option? You could extend further out as well.

Old 09-08-17, 02:37 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I don't understand why that would make you nervous. I have seen other engineered cabins with much larger decks using similar setups as in the attached photo.

Attached Images  
Old 09-08-17, 04:43 PM
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
You picture in your second post most likely had beams that extend well into the house. It is not a simple bolt on application. The 45 degree supports look to be more for stability and aesthetics instead of main support. Here are code on decks. http://www.awc.org/pdf/codes-standar...Guide-1405.pdf

You would need to add or sister joists that then cantilever out over your proposed new deck area and the cantilever can be no more that 1/4th the distance of the supported deck joists. Joists must run the full length supported by post and beam and then you can cantilever. If you are looking to add the deck to the side of your cabin that has no existing deck, don't think it is possible without support posts. A check with your local building permit office will answer that question fairly quickly.