Porch dilemma

Old 09-15-17, 01:30 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Porch dilemma

To make a really long story short, we have to rip up our porch to install a new oil tank in our basement. There really is no other logical way to get it done, trust us we thought of everything.

I started to remove the old cedar tongue and groove boards and noticed the outside beam/joist has dry rot. Yay. upon further inspection, as board removal continued, I noticed that the joist are at there max spacing, 24" OC. Maybe thats why the old floor sagged in spots. I went into the tank room in the basement to see about space to add new joist, for stability purpose only. It wont be possible without starting a masonry job as well (old brick home) So I figure bridging would do the desired effect right??? Please say yes.

While I was down there, I notice that the former owner must have cut the joist, previously. They are not sistered properly, in my honest opinion. They are just double bolted together, not sandwiched like I would have done. Is that ok, or should I just go ahead and sister it myself?

As for redoing the flooring, I went to local stores and cannot find any T&G boards that I am happy with. Split, broke, Cracked and warpped. All junk. My thought, since its a "roof" over the tank room, can I treat it as so? i.e. Get exterior plywood. Seal it, put a polypropylene roof underlayment with flashing on the edge. And then decking surface? Or should I try to stick with the T&G?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-17, 02:50 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 132 Votes on 118 Posts
Welcome to the forums! nn If you could post a few pics we'd have a better idea of what you are dealing with. I'm just a painter but the carpenters should be along shortly.

Old 09-15-17, 03:01 PM
As soon as I can figure out how to transfer my phone pictures to her 😁

Old 09-15-17, 03:12 PM
Ok, here are the pictures. I hope that helps.

Attached Images        
Old 09-15-17, 06:08 PM
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
Take your question to a building supply store not a box store. They will be able to get you T&G porch flooring. They even make a composite porch board but I think 24" OC is too much for composite.