mudjacking or skim-coating?

Old 09-22-17, 09:49 AM
G
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
mudjacking or skim-coating?

Wondering whether mudjacking would work where you have a long curved sidewalk that is low at one end but not the other. If you mudjack at the low end, wouldn't the sidewalk just crack at the first joint and then you have kind of a ramp at that end? Seems they would need to taper if they tried to jack a long sidewalk, and can this really be done with a good result?

And is there any way to do a tapered skim coat in a situation like this? I've been told in the past that there is nothing that really works--it just cracks off. But I recently saw an ad for something along these lines and wonder if there are new materials that would work. It would have to be exterior with non-slip surface.

Old 09-22-17, 12:46 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
You have me curious - any pictures?

Old 09-23-17, 06:39 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Skim coat is a iffy procedure, concrete just doesn't do well in thin applications.

I've had a set of steps mud jacked, actually they use a foam now, and it has held up fine for the past 4 years and was a lot cheaper than replacing the stairs although I will probably have to at some time.

And to your concern, they will raise the entire walk at different heights to taper it out so it's flat.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: