Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Local building codes for deck and where to find.

OR

02-08-18, 08:58 PM   #1 (permalink)  
Local building codes for deck and where to find.

Hello,
I live in Albany, Oregon and am looking to replace an old rotten deck in the front of my house.
Where would I find local building codes for this project.

THANKS!

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

NE

02-08-18, 09:03 PM   #2 (permalink)  
First you should call your local building department to obtain any permits needed. You can also inquire what building code you are required to use locally. There are many, and they vary by location. So there is no way for us to tell you. But your local office can.

One good deck guide we frequently recommend and refer to quite often is the DCA6. It is very helpful and if you follow it to a T you will likely have no problem meeting or exceeding your local code.

This link will take you there... and this copy is based on the 2012 IRC.

http://www.awc.org/pdf/codes-standar...Guide-1405.pdf

Group Moderator

NC

02-09-18, 06:55 AM   #3 (permalink)  
Yes, contact your local building inspections dept. It's such a common question mine has a handout prepared that they give you. It hits the high points of the code and explains the major issues in plain English and with drawings. They also have a list of things people most often screw-up so you know what to watch out for.

Search this Thread