New deck over-top of new concrete patio

Old 04-12-18, 08:45 AM
New deck over-top of new concrete patio

Hello,

I've seen this post come up in numerous different forms, however nothing within the past few years so I wanted to get some professional input. I will be building a 9 foot high deck over top of an area where a concrete patio will be laid. With that said, my footer frost line is 36 inches and posts will be surrounded by the patio. I am wondering what the best way to set the posts, as the patio contractor said he will not lay the concrete until the deck posts are in. Is my best route to bury the posts completely in cement and have the patio laid around the post?

Thank you in advance for your help!!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-18, 09:09 AM
That is an option.

I have also seen posts set with Sono tubes through the concrete which were removed and rock or pavers installed, at least that gave you the ability to get to the post/footing without having to tear the patio out.

Old 04-12-18, 10:36 AM
Group Moderator
No, you do not want your posts set in concrete. Your footings and Sonotube forms should be installed first. So you need to put up some batter boards, run some level string lines to represent your deck perimeter, then center your forms where your posts go.

The biggest mistake people make when doing this is they skip the batter boards and string lines and they just measure everything out with a tape measure thonking that is close enough... they forget that the deck needs to be perfectly square... so your column layout needs to be perfectly square too.

It looks really bad when your post is not centered on your concrete column.

You will also want to coordinate with your contractor as to the height of his patio. It would be nice if your forms were at least 1" above the pad so that they could be caulked in.

And you will either want to set your Simpson post bases into your wet concrete, or set them later with 1/2" or 5/8" drop in anchors.

Be sure your contractor does not pour the patio level with your interior floor. It needs to be several inches lower and pitched away from the building at least 1/4" per foot.