Under deck patio and hanging porch swing

Old 04-30-18, 11:49 PM
Z
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Under deck patio and hanging porch swing

I moved into a house with an elevated deck about a year ago. there's about 9 feet of clearance underneath that i am converting into a patio area and would like to hang a porch swing to the right parallel with the staircase, so the people in the swing would be facing the left side of the picture. the deck passed inspection and everything is up to code. what would be the best way to hang this? the joists are 2x8, the beam is comprised of 2x12 and the posts are 6x6". i was thinking about running a separate joist from the beam to the tie and then hanging the swing from that. the total weight of the swing + occupants will be about 400 pounds. should i just forget it? thanks for the help

Attached Images      
Old 05-01-18, 05:01 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,561 Votes on 1,404 Posts
Most people just run eye bolts up into the bottom of the joists. Your idea of a separate joist is a good one as it adds more support to the deck above. There are also porch swing hanger brackets that will spread the load out a bit more and allow you to use two or four bolts/screws per side of the swing for an even more secure anchorage.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: